• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

northwind

northwind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 1994 Mazda 626 V6 LX automatic
My '94 Mazda 626 V6 has a failed light behind the instrument panel and I can't see the speedometer and tach at night. Anybody know how to replace a bad bulb and where to look? -_- I've been all twisted up and upside down over this and I'm stumped.

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,513 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
You have to take your dash cluster out, and behind it there are 5 or 6 bulbs that twist into the back of the gauges. Takes about 45 minutes to get the darned thing out, and like 2 seconds to swap the bulbs. Since one went out, I'd suggest replacing them all, in case another is due to burn out (hence wasting another 2 hours of your time for each one). Then of course, there is 45 mins of reassembly, and then another 2 hours to figure out why your tach is stuck on zero when your engine is running lol (not talking from experience, but a buddy of mine with an mx6 did this once...).

Good luck!

xalint626

xalint626

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Car: 1997,626ES,V6,manual
snailman153624 did they change the dash cluster in 97 ....I only took me about 10 minutes power tool B)

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,513 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
I dunno, but you have to take all the panels off without breaking them, etc. I never did it, but my friend w/ the mx6 described it to me. Maybe he's just slow lol. j/k.

Oaksey

Oaksey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Car: 1993 Ford TX5 V6 manual
Anyone want to point me in the direction of where the plug for all this might be? After a day at the drags it seems mine has come loose :unsure: Car was vibrating a bit trying to get traction. The indicators and all those sort of lights work but just not the speedo backlight etc. when I turn my lights on.

Oaksey

Oaksey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I had a poke around today and a globe in one of those black screw things with a green rubber on it, pretty much just fell into my hand so I guess I have to find out where to put it in and screw it in. Didn't have the chance until late in the day so I will have to have a go tomorrow. I thought it may have been an indicator one being green but they both still work, so all going well I will just screw it back in.

Oaksey

Oaksey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Oh yeah and it seems to be on the left side of the steering wheel just above a set of plugs. My car is RHD but I doubt that would make a difference.

Oaksey

Oaksey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
OK I just wasted a fair while trying to fix this and haven't yet. I tried to get the globe back in from the back but in the end it was to tight to get the globe in and then be able to twist it into position with my hand. So I pulled out the instument cluster which was pretty easy. Just two screws then clips for the shroud then four screws for the cluster itself. If you were to have to pull all the plugs off the cluster and put them all back on it may take a while but I didn't really need to remove them so I just took off one that had space around it to make it easier.
So I finally got the globe back in, turned the car on, put the lights on and as far as I can tell in daylight it still isn't lighting up. So I checked other globes with ILLUM next to them that are obviously for general illumination and they all looked fine, checked the plugs etc. and still no luck. So I then thought perhaps it is the dimmer/brightness thing, so I had a look at it, pulled the plug out, put it back in, still could be faulty but it's attached properly anyway. Oh yeah I also checked all the fuses in the car and they al looked fine.
The original poster seemed to have the same problem, in that there are about 5 globes and none of them are coming on.
Hmm, I might be able to steal the dimmer switch from my Mum's 626 and see if that helps...
Anyone have any suggestions? I may have to take it to an autoelectrician otherwise... $$$

Oaksey

Oaksey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
:blink: I hadn't checked the fuses under the bonnet (hood) the one marked tail lights or fog lamps or something was gone, replaced it and the backlight for the speedo came back.

I feel a bit stupid but the loose globe behind the dash sent me off on the wrong track, also since there are about 16 fuses right next to it in the kick panel I incorrectly assumed the fuse for it would be there. A lot of messing around but it only cost me 30c for the fuse, I got in the mood to fix a coupe of other minor things, it's all fixed and I know my car a bit better B)

Might get around to replacing those globes with blue ones at some stage too, would only take me about a half hour now I have a bit of an idea how to pull it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users