10 replies to this topic

626ofAll

626ofAll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Car: A Honderp :(
I just bought a 1999 Mazda 626 2.0L 5spd manual. I was consulting my owners manual before I was going to change the oil when I hit three snags so to speak. First, The engine oil capacity for the 2 liter engine is listed at 3.5 us quarts. That doesn't sound right to me. I think they mean 3.5 in the engine and the other half quart in the filter so it is 4 quarts altogether. However, I don't want to overfill my engine oil because that would be very very bad. The other thing that caught my eye was, quoted from the owner's manual, "Because you need a special tool to retighten the filter, an Authorized Mazda Dealer should do the work." Somehow I think that Mazda is beating around the bush and trying to get you to come into the dealer so they can eat your wallet by changing your oil and filter for you. I want to make sure that there isn't any actual necessity for this "special tool". A third thing I thought of is how critical is the need for using Mazda orange coolant. The owner's manual says you should only use it, but I don't know if it actually that important or they are trying to eat your wallet by making you buy expensive coolant. The coolant has nothing to do with the oil change, so I'm not worried about it at the moment. The oil I want to change soon.

raggs

raggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Car: gold 95 626 4cyl at,white 95 626 4cyl at,green 95 mx6 4cyl mtx
first off im not real sure on the 99 but my 95 takes 5 qt of oil,as for the filter its goes on just like any other oil filter..
now as for the orange coolant,you can use the same stuff you always use

XoX1de

XoX1de

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Car: 2000, 626, I4, Manual
overfill a bit is always better than underfill

onit

onit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Car: 93 Mazda 626 4cyl. 2.0 auto
Put what the manual says in it then start the engine until the oil gauge jumps up to show pressure should take about 3 seconds max, then shut the engine off and wait a few minutes to let the oil settle then check the dipstick. It should show if its in the criss crossed area. This is the safe fill level. If below that area you need to add a little bit more. I would recommend about a quarter of quart at a time. Then just let it settle a little and check the dipstick. You don't have to start the engine on this second fill because the oil is already in the oil filter. As for the oil filter, sounds like a load of crap to me, just find the filter and see if it looks like any other oil filter. Orange coolant needs to be used with orange coolant although auto parts stores do sell universal flood that can be used with green or orange coolant. It should specify on the front label of the bottle if it is universal or green coolant or orange.

malc55

malc55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Car: 1998,lxi,2.0,manual
My 1998 2.0L manual states 3.7 us qt with filter change and 3.5 us qt without.
The filter is the same as any other ,but you may need a strap wrench to undo it if was overtightened previously,but dont tighten the new filter with it, just hand tight is all thats required.

626ofAll

626ofAll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

My 1998 2.0L manual states 3.7 us qt with filter change and 3.5 us qt without.
The filter is the same as any other ,but you may need a strap wrench to undo it if was overtightened previously,but dont tighten the new filter with it, just hand tight is all thats required.

I have always used a strap wrench or my hands to take it off. I've only tightened it by hand. I once overfilled a lawnmower engine oil. When I overfilled it, it slowly destroyed it and I also have been told and read to NEVER overfill when it comes to engine oil.

Mazda Madness

Mazda Madness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Car: 2001,LX,2.0,auto
When I change my oil in my '01 LX, and I change the filter, I put 4 U.S. quarts in it. Also, the orange coolant isn't that expensive at all if you have a Wal-Mart. I got mine from there and it's Prestone Dexcool coolant. It's the only orange coolant that I've been able to find, and can be used in Mazda's and other vehicles. Its not a good idea to mix orange and green. It will cause either coolant not to be as effective. Anything else? Let us all know.

626ofAll

626ofAll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

When I change my oil in my "01 LX, and I change the filter, I put 4 U.S. quarts in it. Also, the orange coolant isn't that expensive at all if you have a Wal-Mart. I got mine from there and it's Prestone Dexcool coolant. It's the only orange coolant that I've been able to find, and can be used in Mazda's and other vehicles. Its not a good idea to mix orange and green. It will cause either coolant not to be as effective. Anything else? Let us all know.

Thank all of you for your input. I will have to sit down and look at the price of coolant, but I'm not in a hurry to do that yet. I will do my oil change and see exactly how much it needs and I will put that much in from here on out. Thank you guys again. :biggrin:

Mazda Madness

Mazda Madness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Car: 2001,LX,2.0,auto
If you haven't already done it, you should consider getting a Haynes repair manual. They are available at any Autozone or Advance Auto for about $15-$16. This will explain most of what you need to know about your car in detail and will save you alot of money by being able to do so much on your own instead of paying a mechanic to do things for you. Mine's almost worn out from use. It has definitely been worth its weight in gold (so to speak). Again, if there's anything else just let us all know.

626ofAll

626ofAll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
I am going to buy one tomorrow. I think the Haynes manuals are better than the Chilton manuals, but I will have to look at both and see.

Great Dane

Great Dane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Car: 1996 Mazda 626, 1995 Honda Prelude VTEC, 2003 Chevy S-10 ZQ8
I've got a '96, and my wife's got an '02 (both 4cyl.) and I put 4 quarts in them both when I change the oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users