8 replies to this topic

Erich Nussbaum_2

Erich Nussbaum_2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Car: 1999, 626, V6, Manual
Hey all,

I bought my 1999 Mazda 626 V6-LX at 105,000 miles. It now has 127,000. I have not replaced the timing belt yet and am not sure when it was originally replaced. I want to try to replace it. I have a Haynes manual for this car, but I wanted to know if anyone of you can answer a few extra questions I have about this job:

1) The Haynes Manual instructs to remove the front right wheel in order to remove a splash panel. Can I do this job without removing the splash panel, and thus without removing the front wheel?

2) I know that I will need to break the seal on my valve cover, which I am afraid will force me to replace the valve cover gasket. Can I reuse the valve cover gasket if its still in good shape, and if so, what is the best method for removing the old sealent that was used to create a seal between the gasket and the valve cover mounting surface?

3) Have any of you gone more than 60,000 miles without having a timing belt replaced? Am I a walking (or I suppose in this case driving) timebomb?

Let me know if you can answer my questions. Thanks!

audiqv8

audiqv8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Car: 1999 626es 2.5L V6 auto, 1990 Miata 1.6L Manual

1) The Haynes Manual instructs to remove the front right wheel in order to remove a splash panel. Can I do this job without removing the splash panel, and thus without removing the front wheel?

2) I know that I will need to break the seal on my valve cover, which I am afraid will force me to replace the valve cover gasket. Can I reuse the valve cover gasket if its still in good shape, and if so, what is the best method for removing the old sealent that was used to create a seal between the gasket and the valve cover mounting surface?

3) Have any of you gone more than 60,000 miles without having a timing belt replaced? Am I a walking (or I suppose in this case driving) timebomb?

1. No, you have to remove the right side wheel and the splash panel
2. No, you do not have to remove the valve covers.
3. Yes, the question is not if the belt will break, but when the belt will break.

Google "Leska's timing" for complete documentation on doing this job.

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,741 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX

1. No, you have to remove the right side wheel and the splash panel
2. No, you do not have to remove the valve covers.
3. Yes, the question is not if the belt will break, but when the belt will break.

Many people have gone over 160,000+ miles without replacing the timing belt. Good idea? I doubt it, but I recommend inspecting the belt, not necessarily replacing it.

gumby06

gumby06

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Car: 1997 Mazda 626 LX 5 Speed
Haha, only 127K. It would be a waste to replace it only after 60k. I have the original timing belt and water pump in my 97 with 185K. I would just keep an eye on the belts and see how they are wearing. If they look good no need worry. Our engines are made to be non interference so if you timing belt does brake it won't tear up your engine - rather just leaving you stranded.

Hey all,

I bought my 1999 Mazda 626 V6-LX at 105,000 miles. It now has 127,000. I have not replaced the timing belt yet and am not sure when it was originally replaced. I want to try to replace it. I have a Haynes manual for this car, but I wanted to know if anyone of you can answer a few extra questions I have about this job:

Let me know if you can answer my questions. Thanks!

mrslcom

mrslcom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Car: 98 LX-V6 auto
My 1998 timing belt broke at 100k miles.
I suggest to change the valve cover gaskets also because they are prone to leaks.
I also replace the tensioner, the water pump, the alternator and power steering belts, and all coolant hoses at the same time to save from doing them later.

Erich Nussbaum_2

Erich Nussbaum_2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Many people have gone over 160,000+ miles without replacing the timing belt. Good idea? I doubt it, but I recommend inspecting the belt, not necessarily replacing it.

When I inspect it, should I remove it from the engine, or can the inspection take place while still installed? What's your opinion. It seems to me that you would need to remove it to inspect it, which means you're basically doing the job of installing a new belt. Any experience with inspection over replacement? I guess if nothing else it will save me from wasting money on a new belt. What are some warning signs that my belt is about to break?

Erich

Erich Nussbaum_2

Erich Nussbaum_2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

So this guide at the MX-3's site will be the same instructions for our 626's?

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX

So this guide at the MX-3's site will be the same instructions for our 626's?

Yes it is...here's a link to the guide (with pics) that you can download:

http://pages.sbcglob...b4tn/tensioner/

vlad

vlad

• Premium Member
  • 4,669 posts
  • Car: 93 Mazda 626 KL-ZE MTX RIP
I would replace the crankshaft main seal as well because it's not very expensive and the timing belt must come off to access it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users