• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

yama

yama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Car: 1997, 626 DX, 2.0, manual
Just had my car in because of P0420 code and the front Cat. converter needs replacing and Oxygen sensor bank1 and bank2 are reading low, with an estimate of $1092.50. I guess the question is will it hurt the car if not replaced right away or is this something I should have done ASAP?
By the way I'm a newbe to this site and Mazda's, I purchased car to keep miles off my truck.

626 in dallas

626 in dallas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Car: 2001, mazda 626, 2.0, Auto

Just had my car in because of P0420 code and the front Cat. converter needs replacing and Oxygen sensor bank1 and bank2 are reading low, with an estimate of $1092.50. I guess the question is will it hurt the car if not replaced right away or is this something I should have done ASAP?
By the way I'm a newbe to this site and Mazda's, I purchased car to keep miles off my truck.

Well, it wont really hurt ya. But if you get caught by emission testing... (done in my state dunno about yours) its a pretty hefty fine. But as for the damage to your car, nothing. All it is used for is to break down the harmful chemicals your car emits and is at the end of the Exhaust system almost. Plus, your car has two cats. Cause that one is a "pre-cat". And thats why its expensive. Heh, dealer only part, thats why its so expensive. My word? I waited till I saved up for it. Now, it just depends on how much money ya got on ya right now. lol

djspawn00

djspawn00

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Car: 1999, 626, V6, Auto
is that a dealer quote? Sounds pricey, but not unusualy pricey. If you get it done stay away from univeral cats... its a waste of money. However not changing it will not harm your car, just the environment. Depending on how they do emission testing and inspections you can probably just get an 02sensor simulator to replace the oxygen sensor thus clearing any check engine lights assuming they actually don't probe your exhaust.

626 in dallas

626 in dallas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
"is that a dealer quote? Sounds pricey, but not unusualy pricey. If you get it done stay away from univeral cats... its a waste of money. ?"

Its actually only a DEALER ONLY PART! Thats why it sucks.. No one makes an aftermarcket part for that. And a universal cat wont work, for its a bent curvy cat. Its about a foot below your manifold. nd if you get it done elsewhere be ready to replace it again real quick. But, if it went out, and its less than 150k miles, look at your plugs. I will bet you, that you have a missfire. Thats what I had and I blew my cat. I didnt even know I had a missfire, untill I had no spark in that chamber. heh was funny, took it to Aamco and they test drove it and told me that it was a transmission problem, and well its at a 108k miles so I was almost ready to swap it out with a manual, but then just replaced the plugs and wires for a little over 40 bucks, and bam! it works!!!
  • 98_626_LX_2.0auto likes this

yama

yama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Car: 1997, 626 DX, 2.0, manual

"is that a dealer quote? Sounds pricey, but not unusualy pricey. If you get it done stay away from univeral cats... its a waste of money. ?"

Its actually only a DEALER ONLY PART! Thats why it sucks.. No one makes an aftermarcket part for that. And a universal cat wont work, for its a bent curvy cat. Its about a foot below your manifold. nd if you get it done elsewhere be ready to replace it again real quick. But, if it went out, and its less than 150k miles, look at your plugs. I will bet you, that you have a missfire. Thats what I had and I blew my cat. I didnt even know I had a missfire, untill I had no spark in that chamber. heh was funny, took it to Aamco and they test drove it and told me that it was a transmission problem, and well its at a 108k miles so I was almost ready to swap it out with a manual, but then just replaced the plugs and wires for a little over 40 bucks, and bam! it works!!!

Its a dealer quote, I purchased used a couple of weeks ago from dealer for a car to keep miles off my truck. When purchased on contract said "as is" raised a little stink they called today and will fix at their expense.
I'm going to take your advice andreplace plugs and wires cause car only has 120000 miles.

626 in dallas

626 in dallas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Yea, most cats(well the pre cat anyways) on our cars should last atleast 150k, if it was kept up very good, then 200k. I believe that if you do get it replaced you will get a 75k mile warrenty from dealer.
  • 98_626_LX_2.0auto likes this

Greggyvt

Greggyvt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 2002, 626, Auto

Yea, most cats(well the pre cat anyways) on our cars should last atleast 150k, if it was kept up very good, then 200k. I believe that if you do get it replaced you will get a 75k mile warrenty from dealer.

*WARNING* - I'm a car NEWB -

I've got a 2002 626 with 75,000 miles. Just took it into a garage b/c the check engine light went on. They told me I had a failing Cat converter, quoted me roughly $900. I did a quick google search for a cat converter for a Mazda 626 online and I found one for $75. What's the deal? Why is it costing me $900 when the part is $75? Or am I looking at the wrong part?

Also, since my car only has 75,000 miles, you guys think it could be something else? What should I check on my own?

Frank

Frank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Car: 2000, 626, 2.0L, Manual
I have been having the same P02420 light for months (113000 miles). I reviewed these posts and tried replacing the Downstream O2 sensor myself ($85). It worked for a couple of days, and it came back on for good. Midas would only use dealer parts, not universal. On Monday I will be $975 poorer.

Oh, BTW, I cleared my ODB so I can get my car inspected. I failed anyway. I didn't know that the DMV machines can tell that the codes were just cleared? There wasn't any history in the computer to assess the car's health.

Oh well.

Frank in NJ

TR_car_nut

TR_car_nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Car: None currently
So the front catalytic converter is a dealer part? I see on eBay you can buy the one that is under the car for about $120. I didn't realize there were two. How many O2 sensors are there?

Raziel

Raziel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Car: 1997, 626 LX, 2.0L, Auto

*WARNING* - I'm a car NEWB -

I've got a 2002 626 with 75,000 miles. Just took it into a garage b/c the check engine light went on. They told me I had a failing Cat converter, quoted me roughly $900. I did a quick google search for a cat converter for a Mazda 626 online and I found one for $75. What's the deal? Why is it costing me $900 when the part is $75? Or am I looking at the wrong part?

Also, since my car only has 75,000 miles, you guys think it could be something else? What should I check on my own?

It's costing 900.00 becuase the cat from a dealer is like 100.00-300.00 plus labor charges. Any part you find online will be cheaper then dealer. Or you can go to a salvage yard & get it even cheaper. And the cat can harm your car only if the inside of it is coming apart & blocking the fums from exiting & will backfire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users