• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

basti

basti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi guys,

first off, happy new year to everyone! so, here's my question and hoping anyone can share their experience(alternator replacement)....

lately, i notice my battery light (recharge) comes on when i stepped on the brake and my radio has no sound, though the radio just function fine... anyway, i had it checked at car quest and the guy said it's time to replace it (it does not charged). so i bought a new battery, an AC Delco - got it from a diffrent place since car quest bat is too expensive (the guy must be pissed off.... but he was cool, told him i could not afford theirs) anyway, got home put the new battery, start the car and drove around the block and the light is still there and I still have no sound from the speakerssss.

now im leaning towards alternator, i called some place around and found one for 100.00$ CAD rebuilt (w/ 1 year full replacement). i'll be picking it up tomorrow which is sunday. can anybody here point me to a link where i can follow how to remove the alternator or perhaps can give me a detail instruction? im a DIY person and dont mind spending some times on it... by the way mine is - 4 cyl 2l 1996 LX (with air cond).

I thanks evryone for reading this and hoping you can help me!

regards, /basti

XoX1de

XoX1de

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Car: 2000, 626, I4, Manual
common sense, remove the powersteering belt first , then remove the alternator belt, then remove the alternator. It's nothing hard, you get under your car and remove all the fastener that hold your alternator.

009jim

009jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Car: 1986, 626, 2.0L turbo, 5speed
I have a suggestion. Keep your old alternator in case you might want to get it repaired. You may find that the one you buy for $100 only works for 6-12 months because it might be very old one and has been restored many times. The Mazda alternator can be repaired fairly easily, but the parts for mine were expensive.

626 in dallas

626 in dallas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Car: 2001, mazda 626, 2.0, Auto
Well, it all depends on what ya get. try to stay away from rebuilt ones, unless ou know the life of it. I would recommend you just buy a new one. Auto zone has one I believe that will work for 450? or something like that.

djspawn00

djspawn00

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Car: 1999, 626, V6, Auto
95% of alternators are rebuilt... thus the core charge.... and if you're getting one from Autozone it's definitely rebuilt... but they have a lifetime warranty so its not so bad. NSA Part # ALT3071 would be a new one... and cheap... but you get what you pay for all too often.

Mazda626mMustang89

Mazda626mMustang89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car: 1996 Mazda 626 lx 4cyl automatic
I have this same problem with my 1996 Mazda 626 lx 4cyl but I can't seem to get the alternator out of the engine compartment. I need some ideas so any input is welcome. Thanks for any help you can give.

txgocart626

txgocart626

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Car: 2002, 626, 2.0,auto
Hopefully you have the alt replaced by now but if you haven't...

The trick for me was to remove it from the bottom, will not come out the top like other vehicles.

Be sure to remove the section of exhaust directly below so the alt can be wiggled out.

Holding your tongue just right seems to help.

The alt will come out the bottom but will require a certain amount of massaging to convince it.

Ray

Mazda626mMustang89

Mazda626mMustang89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car: 1996 Mazda 626 lx 4cyl automatic
Thanks for the tip Ray but it didnt work the alt is not touching the exhaust...
So, do you have any other clue?
or anyone eles?

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,583 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
I have a video of removing the alternator belt. I describe how you would remove the alternator but I don't show actually removing the alternator. It's part of a larger series on removing the engine head from the block.

Start watching at 9:56 into the video. I show about 90% of the procedure for removing the alternator. ;)

http://youtu.be/gzT96gs1B_w

To fully remove the alternator there is a single bolt running through the bottom of the alternator (pivot bolt) which isn't shown in the video. It's easiest to remove that bolt from underneath the car but it can be done from the top too. Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users