Swapping Out Bose Head Unit For Aftermarket

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

NDM

NDM

• Admin
  • 2,462 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 V6 2.5L 1999

This is a little "how to" is dedicated to swapping out a bose Head Unit in a 1998+ Mazda 626, while keeping factory amp and speakers. This method yields to no distortion and excellent sound quality.

Only FAQ incomplete at this time.
If you order it from wally world I think they will send you a FAI-3A not a FAI-3.
Electrical tape. (Your should have this, but your local radioshack/hardware store will have it if you don't)
Standard Wire insulator remover/Multi-tool. (any hardware store you will need 16 or 18 gauge on their)

Or you can go with the Crutchfield kit, but it is more expensive.

Electrical tape is to cap off unneeded wires and cover exposed connected wires.
Wire insulator remover multi tool is for cutting one wire off factory connector, and also cutting off insulation from your new factory stereo wires.

Wiring Diagram provided by Xenomorph1030

A.......+12 Volt Ignition Wire
B.......+12 Volt Constant
C.......Postive Dimmer
D.......not used
E.......Power Antenna Turn On
F.......Illumination
G.......not used
H.......Remote Amp Turn On
I.......Left Front Speaker (+)
J.......Right Front Speaker (+)
K.......Left Front Speaker (-)
L.......Right Front Speaker (-)
M.......Left Rear Speaker (+)
N.......not used
O.......Left Rear Speaker (-)
P.......not used
Q.......Right Rear Speaker (+)
R.......Right Rear Speaker (-)
S.......not used
T.......not used

-Do as much as you can at a desk, working inside the car is more difficult and frustrates easier. Install what you can at a well lite desk if possible.
Installation:
1. Connect the wiring harness to the SCOSCHE LLC.
Follow the diagram below
2. Connect the new after market wiring to the SCOSHE LLC.
3. Set all dials on the SCOSHE LLC to (-)
4. Move Side switch on LLC to factory amp mode.
5. Ground SCOSCHE LLC (easiest way I found to do it was to connect it to the stereo ground and ground them both together to the metal frame inside the stereo compartment.
6. Wire up the non speaker wires from your harness to your stereo please match them all carefully following your after market stereo diagram and the above wiring diagram for the Mazda connector.
7. Cut wire H on the factory mazda harness and extend it with a length of copper wire to connect it to your after market Remote Amp turn on lead(usually blue w/ white stripe)
8. Double check everything and turn it on.
9. Try to run a CD if no sound comes out attempt adjusting factory amp gain on LLC, I personally was able to set all mine to max, but just a warning they dramatically adjust sound levels and each stereo will handle them differently. If you are not careful when you adjust them you could blow your speakers! Also keep all dials at same angles when adjust them.
10. It should work if it doesn't see FAQ/Troubleshooting in Part 5.

Some people report that even with the above wiring harness and Line Level Converter you won't get any sound. This is because the MAO2B wiring harness does not pass the Remote Amp Turn on line trough it, you will have to cut tis line, add an extension wire and plug it into your new after market amp. On your new after market stereo you will be connecting it to is blue/white stripe wire.
Now even with the MAO2B wiring harness you will have to cut wire H from before the original Mazda factory connector. This wire is gray (or gray/black will have to check).

rich123

rich123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car: 1998 Capella
So if i connected these wires off the harness of my new head deck to these wires , labelled a b , c etc using crimps in theory this should providing i insulate them.

protegechris

protegechris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Is this completed.. I know it says it isn't but.. yeah.

Right now I just connected my Scosche harness/Head unit harness to the factory connectors.. but I'm not getting any sound. I didn't cut *any* wires. Any suggestions?

NDM

NDM

• Admin
  • 2,462 posts
The instructions are complete but the FAQ isnt thats all.

Did you get the LLC? And did you "7. Cut wire H on the factory mazda harness and extend it with a length of copper wire to connect it to your after market Remote Amp turn on lead(usually blue w/ white stripe)"

protegechris

protegechris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I had missed the step about cutting the remote amp wire. My bad! All worked well after that.. not using an LLC.. but I don't notice any noise or difference in sound quality, to be honest.

NDM

NDM

• Admin
  • 2,462 posts
great I'm glad it worked out for you! Did you notice a pretty big improvement in sound quality after doing the swap? Cause I sure did.

Halt

Halt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

great I'm glad it worked out for you! Did you notice a pretty big improvement in sound quality after doing the swap? Cause I sure did.

It worked out great for me! Sounds incredible, except it has only been a week or so and my front right speaker is busting. I hear it beginning to frazzle out. Looks like I'm gonna have to take my system to the next step and replace speakers and rewire... :unsure:

Halt

Halt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

except it has only been a week or so and my front right speaker is busting. I hear it beginning to frazzle out. Looks like I'm gonna have to take my system to the next step and replace speakers and rewire... :unsure:

Ok, I was wrong. The frazzle sound was actually the way my mp3's were recorded. Will hold off on new speakers :smile:

NDM

NDM

• Admin
  • 2,462 posts
Glad it was your mp3 not the speakers, and I'm glad it turned out well for you :biggrin:.

titsandass

titsandass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 98 mazda 626 es
so if i just cut the H wire and connect it to the remote amp turn on lead on the aftermarket radio, itll work without buying the LLC?

and do i have to run any wires to or from the factory amp if i do have to use the LLC ??

NDM

NDM

• Admin
  • 2,462 posts
Nope youll need the LLC, its not too expensive to grab one. You connect the stock harness to the wiring harness then that up to the LLC. The aftermarket wiring harness does not carry over the H wire, so you need to cut that before the connector on the stock wiring harness. Does all that make sense?

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mikaila31

Mikaila31

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Car: 1999 626 ES v6 manual
Whats the LLC do? My HU was installed the difficult way I think. We just pulled out the Bose HU and chopped the car connector off. Chopped the connector off the new HU and crimped all the wires using the car and the new HU wiring diagrams :lol: . Took forever, but works, sounds good and I didn't use a LLC. I'm pretty sure this voided any warrenty on the new HU, but its worked great and has lived well past the 1 year warranty it did have. Getting the HU to lock into place takes some time and patience, do to all the wire crimps behind it.

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
yea, thats def the way not to do it correctly. lol. when a line converter is less then $20. there's no reason to destroy a good wiring harness. if you sold that car, the next owners will have zero clue whats what. when a LLC just unplugs, and is 100% back to stock.

Mikaila31

Mikaila31

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Car: 1999 626 ES v6 manual
What's the LLC do though? When I do eventually sell the car, who ever buys it will get all the extra bits. I'm pretty sure I still have both the car's and HU wire harness. They can always redo it the proper way if they want. With the car and HU's wiring diagrams its not that hard to figure out. They can make sure we got the speaker polarity right while they are at it. Our diagram for the car didn't say which one was + or -. We had a 50% chance though. lol.

rsnyder13

rsnyder13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
So i decided to do this to a friends car. Everything works great. Awesome write-up. The only problem we have is the fact that after we installed the new head unit. the gauge cluster lights and the hvac control lights dont work. any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users