• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Traldan

Traldan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Car: 99, ES, V6, MTX
My stock Bose head unit is failing, and I have an opportunity to put in a nice new one. However, I still have stock everything else and probably can't afford to upgrade it all right away. Someone mentioned that Bose wiring is funky - does that mean I can't replace the head unit without replacing everything else?

MRPLATINUM79

MRPLATINUM79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Car: 1999 MAZDA 626 ES V6 MANUAL
Exactly. You cannot use an aftermarket head unit with the factory-installed Bose speakers. You will have to replace all of the speakers and wire them around the amp that is under the passenger seat in order to use an aftermarket head unit. Same goes with changing the speakers, you cannot do it, and expect them to work correctly without changing the head unit. Bose uses low ohm speakers. The only way to do anything with the Bose without modification is to try to buy a new Bose head unit (from Mazda) , like the one you have, and if the speakers are shot, you will have to get new Bose speakers as well. I imagine they will want an arm and leg for both. I did not like the way my Bose sounded, personally, so I went ahead and rewired my car and invested in the speakers and head unit. Loving it now. Hope this helps!

hwilljr88

hwilljr88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Car: 1999 626 2.5 V6 Auto
Trust me, it is worth getting all nu audio gear. The bose ain't bad...but there are soooo much better other speakers. I personally have Polk DB 5250 Components and DB 690 Coaxials wit a Pioneer DEH-MP7800P and it is soooooo clear. The wiring isn't as hard as u think, jus time consuming. Having to take up some of the floor panels is a lil tricky if this is ur first try.

mickvick302

mickvick302

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Car: 1998, 626, V6, 2.0L, Auto
Not true MRPlatinum. I have an aftermarket headunit(Pioneer DehP3800) with an amp and subs, and stock Bose speakers on my 98' 626. I am getting new speakers though, b/c mine are blown...

MRPLATINUM79

MRPLATINUM79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
No, I think I know what I am talking about. The Bose amp(s) has to be wired out in order for an aftermarket headunit to work correctly. In our cars (98-02), it is under the passenger seat. Some cars, like the older Nissan Maxima, the amps are built into each speaker. This is from the Bose automotive FAQ webpage itself, #6b:

b. Can I add a new radio?
No. Each Bose automotive sound system is completely integrated, with the elements custom-engineered to work together as a whole. That's why the music sounds so rich and lifelike. To help achieve this sound quality, special circuits are built into the system, including the radio. If you install a new radio, you lose these circuits. This can result in decreased sound quality, incorrect bass and treble balance, distortion at high volumes, loss of bass at low volumes and in some cases, no audio output at all. In addition, changing the display, which is also known as a headunit, will void the warranty on your Bose sound system.

That is probably why your speakers sound like do-do!!

Here is a link so you can read it with your own eyes:
http://www.bose.com/..._...mp;x=7&y=14

MRPLATINUM79

MRPLATINUM79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Here is yet another site I found that says the same. Here is the link for the FAQ. You will find all this there. This company specializes in Bose and repairing broken factory stereos.

http://www.carstereo...otquestions.htm

Q. Can I add a new radio? (BOSE question)
A. It is not a great idea. Most customers who attempt it change their minds and revert back to the Bose head unit or end up spending more to complete the change of the entire system. Each Bose music system is completely integrated, with every element custom-engineered to work together as a whole. That's why the music sounds so rich and life-like. To help achieve this sound quality, special equalization circuits are built into the system -- in the radio and in the amplifiers. If you install a new radio, you lose these circuits and their special signal processing algorithms. The results can be disappointing: decreased sound quality, incorrect bass and treble balance, distortion at high volumes, and loss of bass at low volumes.

Q. Can I bypass the BOSE amplifier and still use the factory BOSE stereo?
A. Yes and No. Yes if you own a hearing aid, adjust your hearing aid to high sensitivity. No, if you want a normal sound. The output level from the Bose stereo head unit is matched to the speaker-amplifier to provide quality sound.

Q. Can I replace the Bose stereo, bypass the amplifiers and use the Bose speakers?
A. Bose speakers are usually 1or 2 ohm. A 1 or 2 ohm load to aftermarket stereos looks like a shorted speaker. This will cause the stereo to rapidly heat up and may damage the output stages.

So...........I stand behind what I said from the beginning!!

hwilljr88

hwilljr88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Car: 1999 626 2.5 V6 Auto
it is tru that tha bose system will work with just changing the headunit. BUT tha music WILL sound shitty. because tha bose HU, Amp, and speakers are 2ohms. Most headunits push out 4ohms. In order to keep the sound at least decent, get a decent HU(pioneer, alpine, sum kenwoods), decent speakers(alpine, polk, infinity), and some wiring maybe an amp if you want. I personally didn't use an amp and my system is pretty clear.

XeNoMoRpH

XeNoMoRpH

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 5,531 posts
  • Car: 1988 626 GT ----- 1995 MX-6 LS
If you just replace the headunit, it will sound pretty bad as hwilljr88 said. The Bose headunit doesn't output sound nearly as loud as stock headunits, hence the amp. What you normally have to do is get a unit that reduces the output of the aftermark headunit to work with the bose amp and speakers. The result, although functional, will not be pleasing to the ears. Like other people have said, its best to just get new speakers and rewire it. I would recommend Rockford Fosgate speakers since I have had good luck with them. They aren't cheap, but you normally get what you paid for.

Also, a quicker solution could have been found by searching. I know for a fact that this topic has been touched multiple times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users