6 replies to this topic

vlad_vm

vlad_vm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Car: 1998, 626 LX, 2.0, Auto
Yesterday on the way back to work I suddenly heard a weird noise coming from under the hood. I thought it was just a loose alternator belt or powersteering belt. The next day coming from work I got the tools out, tightened the belts and hoped noise would go away....

Turned on the car, the damn noise was still there.... so I listened closely, then I noticed something weird poking out of my car's timing belt cover (plastic part near the powersteering pump)... It was the f@cking tensioner spring!!!! It broke, and got jammed between the cover and the sprocket and the friction got so hot that the spring melted through the plastic cover! I used a pair of long-nose pliers and pried it off the cover.. now there is a hole on the plastic cover.

I turned on the car and the noise was gone. But now I have to replace my timing belt (fortunately or unfortunately depends how you look at it I have only 13,000km before replacement)....the water pump, and accessory belts, idler pulley and tensioner spring!

Damn those OEM parts!!! Should I bring it to Mazda and complain or just get it over with and have my local shop do the job and spend $$$?

I'll try to post the picture tomorrow.

sailor626

sailor626

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 727 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 Wagon 2.0 GLX (EU-model) MTX '98
Did you check the tensioner pulley itself?

The tensioner pulley as well as the spring can cause problems with the spring. If the tensioner can't move nicely, there is extra strain on the spring. Also, some old model tensioner pulleys have a problem with the hole where the tensioner spring attaches. This may cut the tensioner spring.

Do you know where the spring was damaged? If it is at the point where it attached to the pulley, check the attaching hole of the pulley itself...(the improved pulley should have a protecting metal ring in the hole, I think I have a picture of it if you are interested)

Tuke

Tuke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Car: 2000, 626 es, 2.0 I4, auto
I've been told by a mechanic I work with that this is pretty common on the older 626's.. I saw one in our shop I think that was being sold on the used car lot with the exact same problem... well at least these engines are non interference.. because if it was an interference engine you would be a lot more pissed off.. well be careful with the shop you go to. dealer would prob be best since I see so many screw ups from other shops on toyotas that we have to fix.. if you take it to the dealer your paying for your car to be worked on by guys that know what their doing and they know the product.

mr8S1

mr8S1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Car: 1996, Mazda 626 LX, 2.0L, 4 Cyl. ATX
I had a T.B job done a while back and not too long ago, the tensioner spring broke and a bearing was shot. Had to re-do those parts. If I had known better, back then I would've told the mechanic (actually I would do the jog myself today), to use all GatesĀ® Parts. Gates has a T.B. Kit See>>> http://www.gates.com...e...7&go=TBHome

Very good parts! That last. They also have seals and water pumps.

sailor626

sailor626

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 727 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 Wagon 2.0 GLX (EU-model) MTX '98
There are a lot of companies with good parts, not only Gates :smile:

The tensioner and idler pulley of the Mazda engines are good quality and if the show no sign of wear they can easily be re-used. However, the point of attachment of the tensioner spring, as well as the bearings in both need to be in perfect condition to re-use them...

mr8S1

mr8S1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Car: 1996, Mazda 626 LX, 2.0L, 4 Cyl. ATX
Of course there a lot of good parts makers out there, but when it comes to Timing belt parts, I did some research and from my experience, I found GatesĀ® to be the best. They also sell the T.B. parts in Kits that include the belt, idler and pulley. They're OEM spec and cost less than Mazda OEM from their parts department! With all the work involved for T.B. repalcement, why not just buy new parts instead of taking a chance? Thats my opinion. Good luck.

009jim

009jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Car: 1986, 626, 2.0L turbo, 5speed
Does anyone know whereabouts in Australia I can get these TB kits from Gates?

Alternatively, is there an online supplier from the USA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users