Photo

Removing/installing New Headunit Stereo! Easy Guide.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Samad

Samad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Well I've been reading on the forums and lots of ppl are asking how to install/remove the headunit on 626. Well I have 99 626 v6 but I think for most of 90's its the same way. Here are some pictures I took today. Pictures should explain everything.

Posted Image

First you need just a small screw driver and 2 din keys(Car Radio Removal Tools) . I bought them from Autozone for only $3.49 also Advance auto sells them or any other auto part shop does. Sometimes they have the model number of the cars in the back but You really don't need it just for mazda. The one in the picture is for a ford car. They all work just has to be U shape. Some people might tell you to use screws or nails, you can use those but I wouldn't recommend it or not if its your first time. You can break the holes with them.

Posted Image
Those are the tabs that you need to open using a small screw driver

Posted Image
Right Side

Posted Image
Left Side
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Insert the keys in the holes and push them in and then pull them out but remember when you pull you need to pull out and away. For example right side key pull to the right side and out and left side key pull to the left and out and it should come out easy.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

If you have any questions just ask here =). I hope you guys like this post.

Curt-

Curt-

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Car: 1999, 626, 4cyl, 5spd
THANKS!!

Greentea

Greentea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Car: 1998 626 ES V6 Auto
Oh good. I came to this site wondering how to take it out. I don't have those keys but I will manage.My Mazda Bose unit....the cd motor burnt out. I have a replacement on the way.

I found some cheap ones on eBay but quickly learned they were not the Bose ones so they wouldn't work.

I may consider replacing the Bose unit and speakers and but a real amp in it. I'm not all that happy with my Bose system.

Great Dane

Great Dane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Car: 1996 Mazda 626, 1995 Honda Prelude VTEC, 2003 Chevy S-10 ZQ8
I just put a Pioneer head unit and CD changer in my wifes car. I'll post access to pics soon.

wahad

wahad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Car: 626, 1998, 2.5L ES-V6
i bought a pair of those u-shaped keys a while ago to remove my headunit but i guess it wasnt the right type/size cuz i had a tough time trying to get it out. i jammed in the keys all the way in as far as it would go and pulled out and away in the manner u described, no luck. i actually ended up bending the keys a little from pulling so hard.....it sucks to screw up something so basic and simple

Curt-

Curt-

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Car: 1999, 626, 4cyl, 5spd
I got mine at Napa for $6.

I had trouble too, I found that I needed to press the Keys in HARD so it went all the way in, then push the key outward and it poped right out...

Oh and I returned the keys because I would never use them again :P

Greentea

Greentea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Car: 1998 626 ES V6 Auto
I bought mine at Wal Mart of all places. I was in the car audio section and they sell a removal kit there. You have to place the U shaped hooks as deep as they can go so it is tight, then yank out firmly and comes right out.

mike5429

mike5429

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 1998 626 2.0 automatic
Great step by step instructions........although im having problems with 98 factory head unit coming out.i bought the U shaped removal kit.but for some reason the right side of the unit wont budge out.anybody know another way to get this factory head unit out?

cyberquest

cyberquest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Car: 2000 626LX 2.5V6 5speed
you have to push the u-shaped tools outwards for it to release the clips, just pushing them down in the holes doesnt release the clips. slide them in push them both outwards and it will slide right out, if you are having to jerk or tug at all you dont have the clips released.

cyberquest

cyberquest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Car: 2000 626LX 2.5V6 5speed
i just replaced mine on sunday so i had it laying in my tool box with the tools still sticking in it so i snapped a couple shots so everyone can see how the tool works.

here you can see where the tool slides in, that black tab peice is whats holds it locked into place. thats all the farther the tool needs to be pushed into the holes!
Posted Image

same thing different angle, those tools dont need to be pushed in very far at all! (TABS IN LOCKED POSITION)
Posted Image

here i am applying outward pressure to the tool, this makes the tabs push in, and the radio will slide right out, it should give little to NO resistance sliding out.
Posted Image

again same thing different angle. (TABS PUSHED IN)
Posted Image

SmoothDesignz

SmoothDesignz

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 577 posts
  • Car: 1995 Mazda 626 LX 2.0 Manny
Just a thought, if you push the keys too far in, you may run the risk of binding up the lock tabs. In that case you'll need to take the dash apart and take the head unit out that way (which really isn't easy at all). The keys should click when you've got them to the right position. Sometimes they don't but you will feel them lock in.

Rayven

Rayven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 V6 Auto
i used these clips from my bench press bar which hold the weights on, i bent the things stright and used those, worked well lol.
getting a new head unit tomorrow :biggrin:

Billybob

Billybob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 2001 626

My Mazda Bose unit....the cd motor burnt out. I have a replacement on the way.

Hey, Greentea - where did you order your replacement stereo from? I have the exact same Bose unit in my Miata, and the CD player doesn't work anymore either. Being in southern California, the top is down most of the time so I don't want to install a fancy aftermarket unit. I just want another OEM Bose unit.

Unless it's cost effective to repair my unit? I'm guessing no. Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

rich123

rich123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car: 1998 Capella
Hey curiou if you can tell me once removing this head unit when replacing i i notice the old unit i had has three harness inputs. but with my new sony headdeck this has one harness what?? and how do i install the new head deck.

djtema

djtema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 1999 Mazda 626 ES V6

My Mazda Bose unit....the cd motor burnt out. I have a replacement on the way.

Hey, Greentea - where did you order your replacement stereo from? I have the exact same Bose unit in my Miata, and the CD player doesn't work anymore either. Being in southern California, the top is down most of the time so I don't want to install a fancy aftermarket unit. I just want another OEM Bose unit.

Unless it's cost effective to repair my unit? I'm guessing no. Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

Hey Greentea, I just swapped out my Bose head unit for a Pioneer - mine still works great, am willing to make a deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users