• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

TKOliwa29

TKOliwa29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 1996 Mazda 626, 2.0 Auto
Yes folks I may have done it! I've been through these forums a couple times through reading everyone's posts about their O/D Light Flashing, the Check Engine light and other related problems. My car specifically has the O/D Light come on flashing when I'm going about 65+ mph and heading uphill. The engine light has stayed on for 2 days now. Well I took my 1996 626 to Autozone today (whoever wrote they did diagnostic codes for free, thank you!) and came up with...P1744, which is a torque converter clutch system performance. The guy at Autozone said it was a $300-400 job.

So here I am thinking damnit Im screwed out of 400 bucks, but not so fast. After doing some reading and playing around on the highway, everything with my car seemed fine. It shifted at the same RPM's as before and there was no additional noise. So everything seems ok for now minus the engine light. After doing yet more research I've narrowed down the problem to three things:

1. Simply resetting the computer. Disconnecting the negative battery terminal, holding the brakes in for 30 seconds and seeing if that works. I havn't done that yet, I fear that may screw myself up more.

2. Full transmission replacement. Hahahaha yea right I've read some suckers who have gone out, done this, and everything has been fine for say, 30-40k miles. Well the same can be said for resetting the computer, which saves about $1500. But I still dont feel like either of these is the right solution. Something has to be wrong, right?

3. So that brings me to the O2 Sensor, probably the most recommended solution I have found on the net. Paying about $70 and putting it in myself, should only take an hour or so, doesn't look too hard.

I dont know what route to take yet, I'm about to head off for a drive and see how she handles after a day of sitting around. And yes, I've done the necessary fluid/filter/ect fixes and put in fuel injectors and all that fun stuff already. I'll be back later to let everyone know whats up, if anyone has any further ideas or comments please post away.

Ineffectual Lies

Ineffectual Lies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car: 1995 Mazda 626 LX auto
Okay well the oxygen sensor seems to help a lot. It did for me, and if you have the right tools and some fairly skinny arms, it should take 5 to 10 minutes max to change it. Just hard to get the wrench or whatever tool you use around it. Uhh the resetting the battery sucks. Well at least it did for me. I reset the battery to get rid of the code for the oxygen sensor, and well all hell broke lose then, as you can see in one of my posts. But it may just be my psychotic car. I have really bad luck with cars, so who knows. I'm thinking my computer is going, gotta go spend the 90 bucks or so to get a full diagnostics test done.

Zuke626

Zuke626

Mazda 626.net

• 1,592 posts
  • Car: 2009 Subaru Legacy GT
I'm confused, you said you got the code read & it indicated a faulty torque converter. So why would you want to change your o2 sensor? Replacing o2 sensors will not solve the problem, if they were faulty you would have a different trouble code.

Ineffectual Lies

Ineffectual Lies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car: 1995 Mazda 626 LX auto
Yea you have a good point there Zuke. Might help the car run a little better if yours is getting old, but you will still encounter your previous problems. I wasn't even thinking of that.

TKOliwa29

TKOliwa29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 1996 Mazda 626, 2.0 Auto
Alright well Im back, tonight I took it out on the highway and let the car get to the point going up a hill where you have to accelerate to keep the same rate of speed, and bingo the O/D Off light starts flashing and the check engine light had remained on since I started it.

Zuke, sorry about the mixup. I didnt mean to say that the O2 Sensor would solve all my problems. I know thats probably not the case. It was just something to think about for myself, oof those ideas I just threw out there. I decided not to play around with the computer after hearing I Lies' case. So I'm going to take it out tomorrow morning to the neighborhood trusted shop and see what they say about the tranny.

But here's the fun part about all this, I had just bought the car 10 days ago as/is but I did take it to this shop and a guy I really trust took it out on the road. There was some clicking above the wheel on the right front tire. Strut bearing was replaced, no more click. But he checked everything out on the car, said I needed two rear brake lines (and I got underneath and looked too, I did need them) and got those fixed, $220. He could have 'passed' the tranny knowing it needed immediate attention. I'm just confused as which route to take now...if it turns out I do need a new tranny and everything is going to hell I'll be back at the dealership barking for a trade up. If it's just this torque converter, that may solve my problem but how long will it be until the tranny does actually go?

Its kind of like that grandma thats on life support, she looks like shes doing alright but everyone in the family knows its about that time. Frustrating as all heck. It just looks like there no avoiding getting a new tranny, and I'd rather sink a little more cash into a trade in/up rather than mess with a friggin new tranny.

btw these boards have eaten up my spare time, good stuff and knowledgeable people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users