• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

malgrep

malgrep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Car: 1998 626 2.0L Manual
The bulbs for my instrument panel have burned out, and I need to replace them.

I looked through the forums and found the walkthrough for replacing the bulbs, but that seems to only apply to the 93-97 models.

I am having a dickens of a time trying to get the front part of the dash off so I can get to the speedo/tach cluster. There are two star bit screws that I can see, but I think I am missing something to get the rest of it off.

Also, I cannot find a listing of the bulbs needed for them. I have been to two auto parts stores and no one has them listed, or knows which kind of bulb. One of the reasons I wanted to get the dash off was to see what kind of bulb it is.

One would think it would be the 194 from previous years, but in the books at the store (the ones to look up part numbers and such) just has a "-" listed for the instrument panel bulb.

Looked for a manual (Chilton and Haynes)while at the stores, but no one had one. That seems to be a theme around where I live.

twiztedtorque

twiztedtorque

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 778 posts
  • Car: 1998 626 2.0l i4 mtx
Open the driver's door. Where the door touches the side of the dash, there is a panel(on the dash). Pop that out with a screwdriver. Behind that panel, there are two torx screws. Take them out.

Now, unscrew the nut holding the hood release to the kick panel (it's behind the kick panel. 17mm). On the opposite side of the kick panel there is another torx screw. Remove that, and pop the kick panel off. Put it to the side.

The black dash piece is easy. Drop your steering wheel as low as it can go. Two torx just over the gauges, and one on either side of the steering wheel. Pull that away from the dash and disconnect the connectors on the back of all the switches on the black piece. Put that to the side.

Now, all you have left is the actual cluster. There are two torx screws holding the top and two holding the bottom. Remove them. Pull the cluster out and disconnect the three long connectors (don't worry, they can only go in the slot they came out of).

The bulb holders just twist out. The big ones are 194. The small ones are #74.

Do all in reverse, and your back together. :P

tristan

tristan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Car: 1996, 626, 2.0L, MTX
You need 194. Recently I replaced couple of bulbs with 194, which were not 194 (Speedo illumination). They work just fine and there is no difference in the way the dash is illuminated. The blinkers are 194 for sure (I had them replaced too).
It is good idea to buy a couple of pairs and replace them all around as I had to replace a blinker light and just a week later one of the illumination lights. :lol:
I have not seen this info in the Haynes.

malgrep

malgrep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Excellent, thanks!

Hopefully I can get this done tomorrow before I head in to work.

If I don't reply it means I blew something up...like my hands.

malgrep

malgrep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the instructions, they worked like a charm.

It was far too sunny for me to check and see if the lights worked, but I will check once I get home from work tonight.

If it does not work I think it may be the bulbs I had. They were 194's, but they might be bad, or something. With my luck I got a set of burned out ones.

At least none of my friends got a hold of them before hand. In high school one of them put loaded bulbs in my brake lights. I stepped on the brakes and *pop* went the bulbs.

The next day I took his coil wire out. He spent hours trying to figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users