• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

skn9895

skn9895

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 2000 626 4cyl 5 speed
We luv our 2000 Mazda 626, but lately it has been very hard to shift. It is the 5-speed manual and it only seems to act up when it gets hot. At first it didn't like shifting into 1st, now it doesn't like 1st, 2nd or reverse. It doesn't sound like a clutch problem, since it only does it when it gets hot. A bad clutch would act up all the time, right?
Any help would be appreciated. I would like to be a little more informed when we take it in to the shop.
Thanks

vlad

vlad

• Premium Member
  • 4,669 posts
  • Car: 93 Mazda 626 KL-ZE MTX RIP
Check and make sure the gear oil is topped up and not leaking (driveaxle-seals, tranny housing gaskets etc).

On the radiator side of the transmission, there are several drain plugs. The one that's exactly at the half point of the housing is the plug that needs to be filled until the fluid starts leaking out of it. You can use one of the lower plugs to drain the fluid if you feel like changing it.

sailor626

sailor626

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 727 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 Wagon 2.0 GLX (EU-model) MTX '98
Can you describe what happens when changing gears is difficult. Do you hear or feel some grinding, or does it feel like you have something blocking the gear?

skn9895

skn9895

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 2000 626 4cyl 5 speed
It definitely acts like something is blocking it from going in gear, there is no grinding. Also, the fluid level is OK in the transaxle and in the brake/clutch master cylinder.

When my wife first drives it in the morning, it seems fine. It's only after the car has been driven a while (10-15 miles) and has "warmed up" does it start to act up. weird......It's only 1st, 2nd, and reverse.

sailor626

sailor626

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 727 posts
Maybe one of the bushings is having problems. But I still don't understand why this happens only with a warm engine...
You may try to feel in the connection between the transmission and gear selector whether there is some play (and especially if you feel a difference between a warm&cold engine...some of the parts of this connection do heat up when engine is warm).

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • Car: Sorry Guys... I've gone German (2.0 Jetta)

Also, the fluid level is OK in the transaxle and in the brake/clutch master cylinder.

That's hydraulic fluid for the brakes and clutch.... you need to check the gear oil as vlad mentioned ;) Especially if it feels like a blockage (low gear oil means the syncros are not going to operate properly -- which could also explain why its worse when cold).

sailor626

sailor626

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 727 posts

Also, the fluid level is OK in the transaxle and in the brake/clutch master cylinder.

That's hydraulic fluid for the brakes and clutch.... you need to check the gear oil as vlad mentioned ;) Especially if it feels like a blockage (low gear oil means the syncros are not going to operate properly -- which could also explain why its worse when cold).

You explanation on oil level is correct...but his problem is the other way round: he does only have problems when the engine is hot: so the oil should not cause the problem then I assume...

abeslic

abeslic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Car: 2000 Mazda 626 2.5 V6 manual

Sorry for bringing the post from the grave guys, but need your help again.

I've started having this exact same problem, it only happens when the car warms up, especially noticeable and happens quicker when it's hot outside. Same car, same year, same manual, different engine - mine is a V6 though.

Can't seem to figure it out. Did you resolve this?

Changed all the fluids at a lube shop so that's probably not the issue.

Not sure if it matters but I had the clutch hose brake on me so I got it replaced.

Also, when trying to put it in reverse, sometimes it grinds and kinda kicks when you manage to shift.

We luv our 2000 Mazda 626, but lately it has been very hard to shift. It is the 5-speed manual and it only seems to act up when it gets hot. At first it didn't like shifting into 1st, now it doesn't like 1st, 2nd or reverse. It doesn't sound like a clutch problem, since it only does it when it gets hot. A bad clutch would act up all the time, right?
Any help would be appreciated. I would like to be a little more informed when we take it in to the shop.
Thanks

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,765 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX

Your clutch is not fully disengaging.  It's either low on fluid (and has air in the line), you have a faulty slave cylinder, or your pressure plate is failing.  Heat causes the metal and rubber to get softer, and it also causes fluids to get thinner and moisture to turn into vapor, etc.

When it's acting "normal" have someone push the clutch in for you while you look at how much the slave cylinder moves under the hood.  Repeat the process when it's acting up and see if it's moving as far as it was...if it is, the problem is your pressure plate...if it's not, focus on the hydraulics.

abeslic

abeslic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Your clutch is not fully disengaging.  It's either low on fluid (and has air in the line), you have a faulty slave cylinder, or your pressure plate is failing.  Heat causes the metal and rubber to get softer, and it also causes fluids to get thinner and moisture to turn into vapor, etc.

When it's acting "normal" have someone push the clutch in for you while you look at how much the slave cylinder moves under the hood.  Repeat the process when it's acting up and see if it's moving as far as it was...if it is, the problem is your pressure plate...if it's not, focus on the hydraulics.

Thanks a lot snailman! Will check it out and report back with what I find. This forum is golden and support is fabulous!

abeslic

abeslic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Thanks a lot snailman! Will check it out and report back with what I find. This forum is golden and support is fabulous!

I checked it and believe it was the slave cylinder, the guy that bought it is going to change both master and slave anyways. Thanks for your help!

Looking into buying a newer Mazderatti now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users