• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

linda

linda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 97 mazda 2.5 auto
I have a 97 mazda 626 2.5 engine.. i am new at this so please be kind lol.. i took it to the mechanic today because for some reason it is making a tapping noise . They said they thought it was coming from the tension on the timing belt . I had timing belt replaced 2 yrs ago .. said it might have trash in it and that to replace it all would be 425.00. it would take 3 hrs to fix ,so i opted for change oil to synthetic oil and add moa to see if that would clean it out .. i drove it home and it has not stopped the problem yet . please if any one has any suggestions i would be grateful

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • Car: Sorry Guys... I've gone German (2.0 Jetta)
what was the weight of oil used?

can you locate specifically where the tapping noise is comming from (ie valve covers, timing belt cover, etc.)?

hominid7

hominid7

• Premium Member
  • 220 posts
  • Car: 2001 626 ES-V6 ATX:White w/Tan Leather
If it is a regular tap-tap-tap-tap-tap that continues and goes throughout all speeds, it is not likely the timing belt. I would think it's the valves sticking. Your synthetic oil may make it go away in time.

The timing belt tensioner sounds like a somewhat "slaping" sound, and possibly come and go from time to time.

A friction gear knocking sound is more of a knocking that ONLY happens below 2000 RPM.

Pacman123

Pacman123

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 657 posts
  • Car: 1995 Ford Telstar TX5
Id say very much that it is your hydraulic lifters. Particularly on the No. 1 cylinder. I have the same problem. I had it ever since i bought the car, and even with synthetics it still does it :s
Oh well, you learn to live with it i guess. lol

cooluser23s

cooluser23s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Car: '99 Mazda 626 V6 2.5l DOHC Auto
Yea it's called HLA's. Our cars are notorious for it. Just do closer oil changes (for one or two changes) and put in synthetic. That should make most of it dissapear. From my research so far, the tapping doesn't do anything bad and it's a lot of work to fix it. Basically take half the engine apart and fix little metal springs and balls. And even then it might come back later. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Did you go to a guy specializing in Mazda/Ford engines, or a general mechanic? It seems that he's trying to make a quick buck off you, IMHO. The other thing would be is that he is not familiar with the above problem. Hope you get it straightened out keep us posted.

-M

Jmoore

Jmoore

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 841 posts
  • Car: 1994 Mazda 626 Hatchback (2.5L V6) (Manual)
its obviously a sign that your engine is about to die soon , be best to offload the car onto someone else

flora macdonald

flora macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L Auto
Hi!

Don't, under any circumstances, take Jmoore's advice!
I would tend to agree with Trebuchet or Homidid7, and no! Cooluser23s, our cars aren't notorious for it! It's a 97, not a pre 95.

Flora

Flsurfer626

Flsurfer626

• Premium Member
  • 377 posts
  • Car: 2002 Black Mazda 626 2.5v6 Atx
Actually cooluser23s is most likely correct. Its pre 98. After that they used solid lifters. So it is "most likely" the HLA's. Use the search and you will find out for yourself. Definatley have it checked out by someone to make sure but the pre 98 cars were "notorious " for makin that sounds. For the most part its completley harmless.

cooluser23s

cooluser23s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Actually cooluser23s is most likely correct. Its pre 98. After that they used solid lifters. So it is "most likely" the HLA's. Use the search and you will find out for yourself. Definatley have it checked out by someone to make sure but the pre 98 cars were "notorious " for makin that sounds. For the most part its completley harmless.

Actually, I'm not sure if 98+ are excepted from the HLA problem. I have a '99 V6 and a Probe owner that heard my engine thinks I might have a slight HLA tick on my car. I'm not sure if he's right, but it's quiet enough that I never really think about it.
If they are excepted, that's good to know though.

-M

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Actually, I'm not sure if 98+ are excepted from the HLA problem. I have a '99 V6 and a Probe owner that heard my engine thinks I might have a slight HLA tick on my car. I'm not sure if he's right, but it's quiet enough that I never really think about it.

-M

The 98+ engines don't use HLA's whatsoever... But you're supposed to check valve clearance every 30K miles -- if the clearance is out of spec, add shims (which will get rid of the tick) ;)

cooluser23s

cooluser23s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

-M

The 98+ engines don't use HLA's whatsoever... But you're supposed to check valve clearance every 30K miles -- if the clearance is out of spec, add shims (which will get rid of the tick) ;)

Interesting. What do you mean by valve clearance? Now I'm getting worried. I thought Mazda were non-interference engines. Or am I mixing up two things that are unrelated..

-M

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Interesting. What do you mean by valve clearance? Now I'm getting worried. I thought Mazda were non-interference engines. Or am I mixing up two things that are unrelated..

-M

Unrelated (me being lazy actually)... Its valve tappet clearance... Where the cam lobe meets the tappet. If a space develops in there, the cam lobe is going slap against the tappet making a ticking noise.... sorry about the confusion :/

Bigjames02

Bigjames02

• Premium Member
  • 1,219 posts
  • Car: 1998 Mazda 626
I forget the web page address, but its a mazda 626/mx-6/probe faq...

anyways it talks about this problem and it mentions that its around the valve cover near the intake manifold. I think they say its a spring that cause a tapping noise...my mx makes it and i'd have to say its more of a paddle noise it sounds like somebody taking a wooden paddle and slapping it against another one. Could this be the problem, or is that what your talking about already tre?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users