• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

hlmm1705

hlmm1705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 1998 AT 2.0 LX
I´m in a dillema, my 1998 626 has the early simptoms of failure in the tranny, mi mechanic is closed that it has to be rebuilt, ok with that, but mi second baby is in the way, so I can't do that expense now. But my problem is that the oil is already brownish and burnt smell, but my mechanic said to me he didn´t want change the oil because, he had done that with other 626 with tranny failure symptoms and then they didn´t move because of oil change. I think he is pushing for the rebuilt, but you are the experts, should I change the oil yes or no? It will help to extend the tranny life? I have already put a Hayden 404 cooler.

Thanks

Kutcht1

Kutcht1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Car: 1993 Mazda 626 2.5L V6 Auto
What are your early symptoms?

TomK

itschuck2c

itschuck2c

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Car: 1994 mazda 626 2.0L automatic
Changing it, the tranny fluid will not harm it anymore than it is. Just do the 2 bucket method.

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • Car: Sorry Guys... I've gone German (2.0 Jetta)

Changing it, the tranny fluid will not harm it anymore than it is. Just do the 2 bucket method.

No, but it could make the problems much more prevalent... That is how I discovered my tranny was fubar within a month of buying :/ That floating friction material could be whats keeping everything sticking together :(

hlmm1705

hlmm1705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok, the tranny early symptoms are: when cold has loud thump when drive is engage, then a rattling noise in 1st gear when starts in a slope and almost any force, and engaging 2nd gear also with a rattling noise (only in slopes).

itschuck2c

itschuck2c

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
That rattle you hear, its only when going up a hill?? If its a lite metallic sound it may be a spark knock issue. If its more of a chatter that you kinda feel thru the steering wheel/seat of your pants it would indicate a bad torque converter.

hlmm1705

hlmm1705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I feel it mostly in the gas pedal, but th noise is a loud grinding noise, yes going uphill only.

mr8S1

mr8S1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Car: 1996, Mazda 626 LX, 2.0L, 4 Cyl. ATX
I had my transmission rebuilt last year and so far all is well. A Strauss mechanic told me he would not do a Trans Oil flush/change on any mazda because of known transmission problems. But, since I had the tranny rebuilt and new trans oil was used, would it really be a problem to do a complete Trans flush/oil change?

Also, about the "Two bucket" method mentioned, what is this exactly? I know that it is impossible to drain and change all of the 8.8L of trans fluid from a 96 Mazda 626 2.0 Atx. The filter is buried deep inside the transmission and cannot be DIY'd at home.(a lot of work!).

I'm planning on adding a Magnafine trans line filter and a Hayden #676 cooler and would like to change the trans fluid first. The Strauss mechanic said that changing the trans fluid may cause the transmission to start slipping for reasons mentioned above about the metal particles holding everything together. What do you guys here think?

hlmm1705

hlmm1705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
So I should do the oil change? Maybe I can do it this weekend, I convince my brother to help me with the 2 buckets method, but I just don´t know. Please help take a decision, the tranny rebuilt will happen sometime in the end of the year and thats a lot of time for a tranny.

Thanks

itschuck2c

itschuck2c

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
Change it, and as far as 2 bucket method.. Just get 2 buckets, one is for fresh fluid and the return line(suction) goes into that..the other is for the old fluid and the other line goes into that..have a couple gallons of fresh fluid, start the car and the old fluid pumps out as the new fluid gets sucked in..if the pump is weak you may have to resort to a big funnel held higher than the tranny to get the new fluid into the tranny.

vlad_vm

vlad_vm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Car: 1998, 626 LX, 2.0, Auto

double post

hlmm1705

hlmm1705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
vlad_vm, you recommend to do the oil change with the symptoms I describe in this thread? or I just wait to do the tranny rebuilt?

Thanks

don_mynack

don_mynack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Car: 1997 626LX 4AF Auto
Well, if the trans fluid is already extensively burnt, then more than likely you already have some heat damage to the ATX. Are you getting any slippage in and out of gear? That's usually the final symptom that your trans is toast. If it's not slipping yet, you may be able to change out the fluid to prevent further damage - or, you may start to notice some slippage since all the crap in the old fluid was what was providing the friction to actually change gears. Really, it's a pretty cheap fix to try for now, but in the end, it all seems to lead to the inevitable ATX replacement.

hlmm1705

hlmm1705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
No slippage yet, but about 3 times last month when going 2nd to 3rd gear theres a slight accelaration (not feels like slipping) for about 1-2 seconds and then comes to normal, when I bought these car in dealer, they overfill the transmission, and while a roadtrip back to home the tranny overheated, (I had no experience in ATX only in manual so I didn´t check this) o/d flashed and the tranny spilled all excessive oil but damage was done, mayor concerns about this tranny are thump from 1st to 2nd and the grinding noise in 1st while uphill.

I,ll do the complete oil change, I value both pros a cons opinions and the pros weight more.

Thanks you all

hlmm1705

hlmm1705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I´m glad to tell you my tranny isn´t as bad as thought Today I change 3 mounts that were worn out, and magic, no more noises uphill, my mechanic told me that the mount behind the tranny was loose and this was making a lot of noise so I´ll drive all week to be sure it works as I felt it today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users