Photo

Whats The Difference Between Solid & Blinking Check Engine Light?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

DanR

DanR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Car: 1999 mazda 626 lx v6 5-spd
99 Lx V6 5-sd

TIA
-Dan-

flora macdonald

flora macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L Auto
Hi!

Good info here:

http://www.artsautom...EngineLight.htm

Flora

NickR

NickR

• Premium Member
  • 3,428 posts
  • Car: 2000 LX V6 mtx
I think that a blinking light means that something is seriously wrong, and you should stop your engine, and get it fixed now. A solid light means get it fixed sometime soon.

flora macdonald

flora macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L Auto
Hi Nick!

I think that's why I sent him the link I did :

"The check engine light looks different from car to car, but it's always a yellow / orange color on the cars we repair. If the check engine light comes on solid (not blinking), you can continue to drive the car until you have a chance to bring it in. This does not mean you should ignore it, regardless of what your brother's friend who knows about cars says. When the check engine light is on, the car is likely to be wasting fuel, polluting excessively, causing premature part failure, or perhaps all three. Driving around for a short time until you can set up an appointment is no problem, but continuing to drive for months or years is a bad idea. If the check engine light is blinking rhythmically, there is a problem the computer thinks may cause damage to your car. If you notice a blinking check engine light, you do not need to stop in the middle of the bridge and call a tow truck (like you would with an oil light), but you do need to stop driving as soon as practical. Whether the check engine light is solid or blinking, it's a good idea to drive gently."

Flora

DanR

DanR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Car: 1999 mazda 626 lx v6 5-spd
Thankyou for the information. I went to autozone when it was blinking and they came up with two error codes both for missfiring sparkplugs. My light has now been solid for over 2 weeks, did the problem somewhat correct itself?!? I plan on getting a tuneup soon (plugs, wires, etc) but I am getting quotes of over $350 because of the difficulty of it all on this engine. Anyone know of a good and resonable mechanic in south Florida?

99 Lx V6 5-sd

TIA
-Dan-

NickR

NickR

• Premium Member
  • 3,428 posts
  • Car: 2000 LX V6 mtx
Good link Flora (sorry, I didn't read it carefully enough the first time).

DanR: On most cars, it is very easy to change the spark plugs, wires, disty cap and rotor (the usual tune-up items) yourself. It is a little bit more difficult on our cars, but it is still quite possible for someone new to cars to do this. If you buy a Haynes manual it gives you all the help you need (and we can help you a bit more, if needed). You can buy all the parts for about $200 (the plug wires are the most expensive).

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • Car: Sorry Guys... I've gone German (2.0 Jetta)

did the problem somewhat correct itself?!?

No - our ECU (both the v6 and I4) will flash the CEL continuous when it is detecting a serious misfire in progress - it keeps blinking for a set time (or until the car is shut down and restarted) - it will save a code which can be scanned as you have already done.... I would personally not drive around like this due to the potential damage that can be done (the repairs can involve removing the heads - not fun for something as simple as this).

A tune-up is a good idea ;) If you can DIY, it is much cheaper as mentioned - and if you can measure the resistance on the wires to determine if they need to be replaced, it could be a whole lot cheaper ;) As for a mech in S. Florida -- my family has yet to come by a good general mechanic :( But I do know of a good a/c guy... I think he is near US1 and 595 :biggrin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users