• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

ImportSLAB

ImportSLAB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car: 1999 626 ES V6 auto...
I have a 99 626. It cranks and cranks but I get no spark at all. Now this has happened before. I let it sit there last time for about two days and I came back and it started right back up. It has done it again though. Does anyone have any ideas about what it could be? I smell the raw fuel from the exhaust but not a damn thing for spark..Please help me out anyway you can.

flora macdonald

flora macdonald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L Auto
Hi!

When you say no spark, do you mean you've actually pulled the plug wires and checked for spark at each cylinder? If so, my first quess would be your ignition coil.

Flora

brian passarelli

brian passarelli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Car: 1993 Lexus ES 300 5-spd Manual
ignition coil/ignitor, assuming no CEL

tchen

tchen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Check to make sure your lead from the coil is seated properly. Also, do what Flora suggested and check each plug for a spark by pulling them out one at a time.

Troy

kjbuente

kjbuente

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car: '97 626 I4 Auto -- Needs Work!
Busted timming belt will cause no spark. (Found out the hard way :biggrin: )

Salvager

Salvager

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Car: 93 626 2.0 and Manual!!
Just had the problem....except mine was it would fire and then not. But for last 4 days, it was no spark anywhere! I replaced the coil and now it fires everytime. I may have just gotten lucky, but worth a shot and cheaper then the ignition module. :biggrin:

There are directions on checking it in most manuals. I haven't found them online yet, but someone here can more than likely help with that one. In the book it says if you don't get a certain reading replace the distributor......I talk with two guys at the dealership and they said more than likely just the coil was bad since it is an internal coil.

Have a Happy!

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,518 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
Could also be your crank position sensor ;)

ImportSLAB

ImportSLAB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car: 1999 626 ES V6 auto...
Thanks for all the advice. After some reasearch I found out that they had a problem with the EGI relays in 98 6's. It would cause this problem quite often. I went to check my car with my new found info..and the bastard started right back up. The thing is I didn't even fool with the relay...

brian passarelli

brian passarelli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Car: 1993 Lexus ES 300 5-spd Manual
okok and then 2 days later is doesnt work or whatever. what is the reading on the coil primary and secondary? the ignitor issue 'could' be the cause of this intermittent failure to start. definetely not a belt as someone else suggested, in your case. you might have a problematic relay as someone suggested(ignitor more common mazda, relay more common honda). let us know if the relays are within spec, too. peace,
Pass

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users