Photo

How Do You Get The Passenger Side Cv Joint Out?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Hydrogen18

Hydrogen18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Car: 1996 Mazda 626 4 Cyl Manual
Driver side cv joint is stuck in, so I came up with the simple solution of taking the intermediate shaft out and banging it out. Except... I cant get the passenger side CV joint out of the intermediate shaft to take its mount off the engine block. How do I do that?

timthemechanic

timthemechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Car: 99 mazda 626 2.0 Automatic
Pull hub cap, take hammer & punch and straighten the bend hammered in the center axle nut - use half inch breaker bar & 32mm socket. Loosen center nut - raise & remove tire. Remove center nut Remove two bolts & nuts holding hub assembly to strut. On the axle is a carrier bearing, bolted with 3 14mm bolts to the engine block - remove the bolts. Remove brake caliper from hub assembly - do not disconnect brake line, just let the caliper hang, or tie it out of the way. Pull hub assembly back away from strut. The end of axle should pull out of hub assembly. Take big screw driver and pry between transmission and and inner CV joint. Don't forget to put drainpan under the trans. because you'll probably lose a guart or more fluid. The axle is just held into the trans with little spring clip and should pop out easily.
Install in reverse, except for one thing. When locking axle into trans, you may need to hammer a little, but be really careful with the inner boot. Make sure the axle is started in the hole and lined up straight. The use a pick of wood and tap gently on the outter side of the inner joint. If you use anything metal or with an edge, you'll tear the rubber boot.Good luck - it's easy for me, but I've probably done over 100 on all makes and models. Takes me 30 mins. Let me know if you need anything further

Cbailey

Cbailey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car: 2000 Mazda 626 ES, 2.0L, Auto
I just did this on friday. I had a hard time seperating the passenger cv from the iontermediate shaft as well. I got it out by laying under the car and whacking the housing where the intermediate shaft is inserted with a big hammer. It came out eventually. There is a spring ring in there that is holding it in.
Its about just as hard putting the new one in. I had to lightly tap the outside stud with a hammer to get it back on. G-luck.

Viper3205

Viper3205

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 98 2.0L 5spd
ha, i just grabbed ahold of it and moved the joint in towards the engine and then kept yankin it back as hard as i could, it eventuall popped out......and ya it was hard as shit to get back in, but i finally did.

wacky-96-6

wacky-96-6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car: 1996 626 lx 4cyl auto
which direction does the center nut that holds the spindle and everything to the cv join turn? clock wise or counter? i cant get mine off and i dunno what way to turn it HELPLZ!

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • Car: Sorry Guys... I've gone German (2.0 Jetta)
Should be CCW -- righty tighty, lefty loosey :P At least, I think that's how it is :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users