• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Pacer89

Pacer89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Car: 1989 Mazda 626 LX, 2.0L Auto
My 89 626 produces almost no heat. Last winter it wasn't so bad.
I just changed the thermostat and had the cooling system flushed and refilled. No improvement.

Any ideas? Water pump seems to be OK since it pushed the coolant out during my flush.

I don't think it's a head gasket as the lack of heat is uniform whether the car is stationary or not. I also don't think it's an air lock in the system.

Hopefully its not the heater core or radiator.

Any ideas?

Ron

booter

booter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Car: 1991, Mazda 626 DX, 2.2, manual
this seems to be a pretty big issue in the winter with some of these cars, one person suggested putting cardboard in front of the ratiator, mine overheated! im still without heat too...

Pacer89

Pacer89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Man... yes I'm going to try the cardboard also.

I also discovered that there's an after market thermostat that is about 10 degrees hotter than the standard Mazda one. Lastly, I'm going to disconnect the heater core hoses and flush it out good. Use some CLR in there and see what happens. Other than that, not much else to do short of replacing the heater core.

Ron

89626turbo

89626turbo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Car: 1989 Mazda 626 turbo

Thanks Man... yes I'm going to try the cardboard also.

I also discovered that there's an after market thermostat that is about 10 degrees hotter than the standard Mazda one. Lastly, I'm going to disconnect the heater core hoses and flush it out good. Use some CLR in there and see what happens. Other than that, not much else to do short of replacing the heater core.

Ron

Have you checked the heater core? Are you going through coolant? My 89 has plenty of heat in the winter (its been down to 19 deg. F so far this year). Its definatley not your radiator.

Do you smell coolant comming out of the vents or exhaust (sweet smell). Problems starting when cold/running rough when cold? These can all be signs of head gasket failure. Make sure there is no oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil (your oil will have a bubbly foamy texture if coolant is mixing in. If your car is running hotter than usual then you could even have a cracked water jacket, but a head gasket would be much more likely to fail on this car (but you never know sometimes).

If its your heater core and you dont mind not having heat then you probably will be ok as long as you make sure and maintain the coolant level. Good luck.

Pacer89

Pacer89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
No ... there is no problems starting, no problems with the head gasket at all. Everything is 100% except the heat ... there is none.
I'm gointg to flush out the heater core when the weather warms up a bit and put the new thermostat in. It was 1C this weekend.

Thx, Pacer

megalomaniac32x

megalomaniac32x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Car: 1991 mazda 626 dx manual(a turbo soon)
i just had to replaced my t-stat cause i had no heat and the car wasnt getting to operating temp. man it runs better and it has heat now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users