Photo

Correct Vis Oil For 626 V6 / Mazda Says No 5w-20?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

hominid7

hominid7

• Premium Member
  • 220 posts
  • Car: 2001 626 ES-V6 ATX:White w/Tan Leather
I recently discovered that my mazda dealer had switched from it's usual 5w-30 motorcraft semi-synthetic oil to the newer 5w-20 semi-synthetic oil. They have been putting it in everything, including my 2001 Mazda ES V6. Seeing that the owners manual calls for either 5w-30 or 10w-30 i questioned it with them and they said it was fine.

I emailed MazdaUSA and received a conflicting response that they still recommended either 5w-30 or 10w-30 for the 626 V6, 2002 and before. They only recommended 5w-20 for the 2003 model year and newer (The new "6") given the different engine design.

I've read many Used Oil reports that seem to suggest 5w-20 works well enough to protect the older V6's. I myself tend to sleep better with a Xw-30 but just curious what everyones thoughts were on the 5w-20 vs 5/10w-30 debate?

vlad

vlad

• Premium Member
  • 4,669 posts
  • Car: 93 Mazda 626 KL-ZE MTX RIP
The dealer services a lot more new vehicles than older ones. Therefore, they probably don't keep any of the w30 oil in stock anymore, since they rarely need it. They probably use the w20 in everything, even older cars that need w30, just to save themselves money. Anyway, that's my guess. Considering what MazdaUSA said, I don't think what the dealer said is right. I would use what is recommended for the engine; 5w-30 (if it gets cold) or 10w-30 (normal conditons).

hominid7

hominid7

• Premium Member
  • 220 posts
  • Car: 2001 626 ES-V6 ATX:White w/Tan Leather
I agree with you!

mrslcom

mrslcom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Car: 98 LX-V6 auto
Going with the manufacturer's recommendation of 5W-30 and 10W-30 would be best.
But in all likelihood, using 5W-20 would also be fine especially during the cold winter months.

Maxro

Maxro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Car: 95 PGT klze MTX, Metalic Red || 95 626 ES klze MTX, Sky Blue
Hello
It is suggested to follow manufacture's recommendation of 5W-30 oil weight/grade. If you suspect or aware that the dealer has switched to other than 5W-30 grade oil, then I would request a explaination paper/notice from dealer that states:
'We have recently diviated from your usual motor oil grade (5W-30) to (5W-20). We are certainly aware of what oil type is recommended by manufacturer for your vehicle. We can assure you that the new grade oil that we have started using for your vehicle, WON'T cause any engine damage what so ever. Furthermore, if your engine is effected by 'new' grade oil causing internal damage, we will replace it with a 'newer' unit.'
This way you'll have some sort of proof.
Cheers

etc

etc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Good points, use more liquid oil when it's cold and 10w30 when it's not.

V6 is a nice engine, I really like mine even though it's '96. Just the right balance of HP and economy.

I think if I had 2001, I would use the best oil, maybe even synthetic. In mine, I put whatever I have 10w30. I do however use the best filter like Purolator Pure One and change it often, even if sporadically.

check out BOBISTHEOILGUY.COM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users