• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

rasta4life

rasta4life

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Car: 1998 Mazda 626 2.0L,automatic
I have a 1998 Maz 626 when I drive the car I hear a rattling sound like a chain dragging on the ground, I thought it was the struts but just changed them an it is still making the chain sound.I can not figure what the hell it is.any help please.thanks

NickR

NickR

• Premium Member
  • 3,424 posts
  • Car: 2000 LX V6 mtx
Some possibilities:

1. Check the flex pipe on the exhaust (the braided metal thing). See if there is a metal ring hanging loose either just in front or behind the flexpipe. If there is, just cut it off.

2. The dust shields around the brake rotors (disk brakes) sometimes rust and bend, or get stones in them. Jack up each wheel in turn and see if you get the noise when you rotate the wheel.

3. Do you have ABS? I have read that there is a little wheel thingy that sometimes comes loose and makes a ringing noise. If you have ABS I can search for the thread I read about this (it might have been on another board).

Does it do it more over bumps? In any gear (including neutral)? When you brake?

rasta4life

rasta4life

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Car: 1998 Mazda 626 2.0L,automatic
Nick thanks for the reply.you hear it when it goes over bumps and even when you drive it. I will check those suggestions you said and see if it helps.Again thanks for the reply

itschuck2c

itschuck2c

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Car: 1994 mazda 626 2.0L automatic
Also check any of the heat shields for the cat and exhaust

plastic.racoon

plastic.racoon

• Premium Member
  • 1,048 posts
I put my money on the heat sheild. Have you been redlining it? Heatsheilds break easy.

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • Car: Sorry Guys... I've gone German (2.0 Jetta)
Heh, some people just drive without the sheild :huh: Thats a good place to look though, with the engine cold :ohmy: . It kinda makes sense to have it if you have the stock snorkel though (the one that goes over the radiator and scoops air from the hood seam).

meankilleR

meankilleR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I say its the dust shield on your brakes, it happend to me, they rust and they bend by just lightly touching them. Bend them the other way.

Majisto

Majisto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
You sure the engine isn't pinging? I know these cars are supposed to have knock sensors, but pinging makes that sound. It should be worse under heavy load like going up a hill.

JamesHart

JamesHart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 1995 2.0 16v Fuel Injection
Same thing happened to me, had to get a new exhaust back box and end pipe.

dclub01

dclub01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Car: 99 Mazda 626 LX

You sure the engine isn't pinging? I know these cars are supposed to have knock sensors, but pinging makes that sound. It should be worse under heavy load like going up a hill.

Is this bad? I think this has happened to me b4, although i haven't seen it again since, and it was while going up a rather steep hill.

Majisto

Majisto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Pinging is early detonation in the motor. It can be caused by hot spots in the combustion chamber. Some people will go up in octane to stop this. This if why octane even exists is to stop early detonation. Still, these cars have knock sensors and the Vulcan Taurus that pings for me does not have a sensor. Check those heat shields first and then see if the gas you are using is bad.

itschuck2c

itschuck2c

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Car: 1994 mazda 626 2.0L automatic
Pinging going up hill is normal..pinging driving on level ground is not..(rule of thumb..pouncing on the gas can cause a ping too..also normal..). I really doubt if the sound you are hearing is much more than tightening the heat shields..always go with the simple solution first..its usually the correct solution.

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • Car: Sorry Guys... I've gone German (2.0 Jetta)
I dont think the engine should have detonation at anytime... level, uphill... whatever... :huh:

Gene

Gene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Car: 95 I4 auto
Pinging between 2 & 3000 RPM can also happen if the EGR valve is not opening as it should.

Gene

Smokey

Smokey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 2.0 ATX
Sounds to me like the cluth on your AC compressor, they make a chain sound when they are going...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users