Blown Headgasket

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

stevywevy

stevywevy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The temperature gauge on my wife's 1996 626 apparently wasn't working and she let the engine overheat. The mechanic at our neighborhood garage says we blew a headgasket meaning a $1,000 - $1,500 repair bill. He also said there may be additional damage that wouldn't be discovered until the headgasket was repaired. The engine has 170,000 miles.
Should I replace the entire engine? What is the best place to find one.
Other suggestions?
Thanks.

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • Car: Sorry Guys... I've gone German (2.0 Jetta)
Wrong section :P

Overheating sucks. :mellow: Do you have oil in coolant or coolant in oil? Can you do a compression check?

If you can do it DIY, it will cost ALOT less B) Other damage could include a warped head (maybe block) and other internal damage that you can't see until you the head taken off.

If you're up for it, doing the gasket is much more cost effective than a new engine, not to mention, it takes less time/equiptment/money to do a new gasket then replace the engine (depends how much the new one is of course).

mazdabate

mazdabate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Car: 93DX 5pd
One time I saw a brand new I4 motor on ebay for $700, you can check that out and see if it's still avaliable

kakarot

kakarot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Car: 00' 626 I4 auto
I say check the compresion if bad chenge rings and gasket.
Check if oil in radiator or water in the oil. if is change gasket also do small repair like all rubber and becouse engine would be open little capital rebuild by changing rings and cleaning evrything.
It shouldent go above 1200 dollars. with parts and work.

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • Car: Sorry Guys... I've gone German (2.0 Jetta)
Not to have sticker shock or anything. If all you do is the gasket.

Head Gasket Set (Autozone): $170 (Includes head gasket and I think VC gasket, Exhaust and intake gaskets - call for details)
RTV (Autozone, if gaskets don't come with it) $5

--
If you need new headbolts (autozone) $35 (Highly recomend this - kit does not include)
If your HLA's annoy you to no end (autozone) 279.99 for 16

--
Timing Stuffs (I would recomend)
Belt (autozone) $32
Gasket and such (guessing) >$20
Waterpump (Guess) $30

New Head (if warped - autozone) $706 - $150 core

So if all you need/do is gasket, it will cost no more than $200 (extra is for supplies and such). But Kakarot makes a good point, this is a good time for a mini rebuild if you have time/money. I don't think a ring set would cost that much though :huh: But you would have to make some phone calls and find out. You could also do new valves, springs and j-spec intake cam while your at it too :P

Whopse, I got the prices for a '97. It should be the same for your '96 though B)

meankilleR

meankilleR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Get a new tranny and engine for around 1200 $ installed.......

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,693 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX

Get a new tranny and engine for around 1200 $ installed.......

What he said. You can get a good used motor for $300 or $400, the install is pretty easy, shouldn't cost more than $500 for labor.

A headgasket job should cost no more than $400 for labor.

ultimateness

ultimateness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Car: 1994 Mazda 626 2.0L Auto
My opinion is just do it yourself. Buying a head gasket is like 10-20 bucks. It takes about 3 hours. But it does mean you have to find a way to time it yourself. My friends 93 Ford Probe's gasket blew and he bought the gasket and did it himself. Not hard.

Jasco

Jasco

• Premium Member
  • 424 posts
its not hard for some people and for others it is close to imposible..... were do I start ?? what do I do ?? Is this gana work ?? and not to mention he would be having to diagnose for More problems wich if he is not experinsed he wont know what to look for and if he never done a timing job a dual overhead is not an easy one to start on

and yea a head gaket is 20 - 30 bucks THEN add

Exaust Gasket
Intake manifold Gasket
water pump gaster
Timing belt
Maybe Timing tensioner
Timing cover gasket
Water Pump (if it hasnt been done)
Shaving the head (if need'ed MORE then lickly if it is warped)
Valve Gaskets
Or new head
Having it pressure tested
Re-time
new hose clamps
new hoses
new fluid's

Thats just to name a few that go along with the job when done Right, its not just get one gasket and its over

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users