• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

MazdaSpeedLX

MazdaSpeedLX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 LX 2.0L AUTO
i'm getting an oil change soon and was wondering what oil brand and type you guys use? what oil brand do you guys use with your mazda and recommend to me?

my odometer reads 165,000 but i have a new engine in the car from a 98 mazda 626 that was wrecked.......so my engine really has about 80,000

thanx for any input given on this topic.

PhiSig137

PhiSig137

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Car: 96 626 4BANG!!, MTX,
Pretty much it depends on your own personal preference. Some on here run Mobil 1 synthethic, other on here (like myself) don't think it's worth the money on a stock motor with such low performance. You can really run any brand you like, provided that the viscosity is correct for your area. Check your owners manual to find the right viscosity.

If you've never heard of it, Bob's Site has just about everything you've ever wanted to know about motor oil on there. Read up on that a bit if you don't already have a favorite oil, and go from there. B)

vanilla sky

vanilla sky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Car: 2000 626 4cyl auto
i faithfully use mobil 1 full syntheitc... for the 626, it's 10W30

vlad_vm

vlad_vm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Car: 1998, 626 LX, 2.0, Auto
I use Mobil1 5W30 because I do extended OCI. But any dino (10w30 summer or 5w30 in winter) will do if you change it every 5k miles based on Owner's Manual under severe service.

fastmov4

fastmov4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Car: 2000 626 2.0L A/T
For the first 60K miles, I used Valvoline 5W20 dino and changed it every 5K miles. Now that I've hit 60K+ miles, I'm using Valvoline 10W30 dino and changing it every 3K miles. However, I'm debating on switching over to Mobil1 10W30 synthetic along with AMSOIL synthetic tranny fluid. If I did the synthetic switcheroo, I'd push my oil change intervals out to 7.5K-10K miles.

Chris

fourteen

fourteen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Car: 98,lx,2.0,auto tranny
mobil 1 ep 15,000 10w30 B)

joolusaf

joolusaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Car: 2002 626 I4 2.0L auto
10w30,synthetic.....for high mileage.

mazdabate

mazdabate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Car: 93DX 5pd

10w30,synthetic.....for high mileage.

How often you change the syn oil?

PurESkIlLZ

PurESkIlLZ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts
  • Car: 00 626
I use mobil 1 synthetic

mschrader

mschrader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Car: 1994 mazda 626 2.5 l v6 auto
spring summer time here due for oil change in 500 miles using 5w-30 now whats recomended for summer? and when the next oil change?

vlad_vm

vlad_vm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

spring summer time here due for oil change in 500 miles using 5w-30 now whats recomended for summer? and when the next oil change?

Owner's Manual Recommends 5w30 or 10w30 because of winter. But if it's summer, you can use straight 30 weight.

If you are using synthetic, you can use 5w30 the throughout the year regardless of weather because it is synthetic and it stays 5w30 all the time! B)

If you are using dino, use 10w30 in summer, it contains less additive to achieve 10w30 (20 difference) compared to 5w30 (25 difference). Meaning less additive breakdown. The lower the additive, the better the oil. Stick with OEM filter.

joolusaf

joolusaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Car: 2002 626 I4 2.0L auto
mazdabate ;how often you change the syn oil?

15,000 miles or one year for mobil1 Extended Performance 10W-30.

younggredd

younggredd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Car: 97,mazda 626lx:auto,i4
I WORK AT AN LUBE CENTER AND WE GET THIS QUESTION ALL THE TIME. AND
TO BE HONEST ITS ALL REALLY PERSONAL PREFERENCE WHEN IT COMES TO BRAND! OIL IS OIL
AS LONG AS YOU ARENT USING SOME WALMART/KENDALL BRAND IT DONT MATTER.IT DOES THE SAME THING. AND AS FAR AS VICOSITY,CHECK YOUR MANUAL.ITS ALL BROKE DOWN. AND ITS NOT REALLY GOOD TO RUN SYNTHETIC IN HIGHER MILE ENGINES.TO MANY ADDITIVES.I WONT HURT BUT IT WONT HELP EITHER.RUN SOME KIND OF HIGH MILEAGE OIL FOR ENGINES OVER 75,000!

vanilla sky

vanilla sky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Car: 2000 626 4cyl auto
my accord has 171,000 miles, and it gets synthetic...
mom's 626 has 80,000 and gets synthetic (has had synthetic since its first oil change)

if your car doesn't leak oil, then go synthetic

vlad_vm

vlad_vm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

I WORK AT AN LUBE CENTER AND WE GET THIS QUESTION ALL THE TIME. AND
TO BE HONEST ITS ALL REALLY PERSONAL PREFERENCE WHEN IT COMES TO BRAND! OIL IS OIL
AS LONG AS YOU ARENT USING SOME WALMART/KENDALL BRAND IT DONT MATTER.IT DOES THE SAME THING. AND AS FAR AS VICOSITY,CHECK YOUR MANUAL.ITS ALL BROKE DOWN. AND ITS NOT REALLY GOOD TO RUN SYNTHETIC IN HIGHER MILE ENGINES.TO MANY ADDITIVES.I WONT HURT BUT IT WONT HELP EITHER.RUN SOME KIND OF HIGH MILEAGE OIL FOR ENGINES OVER 75,000!

Synthetic has less additive. Why, because it doesn't need to protect tha base oil. Base oil doesn't brake down.

Oil that has a big difference in multigrade value has more additive. 0W30 (30 difference) has higher additive than 10w30 (20 difference) and 0w40 has the highest difference, highest additive content. To try to maintain the grade as well as try to keep the base oil from breaking down, conventional oil use a lot more additive.

If you can live in a warm country (always 35F) and your car specifies 10w30 or 5w30 in winter, use straight 30 grade synthetic oil and you might never have to change your oil ever! B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)