Engine Life??

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

jhrhino37

jhrhino37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
How long does our engine on average live??

vlad

vlad

• Premium Member
  • 4,669 posts
  • Car: 93 Mazda 626 KL-ZE MTX RIP
It depends on many factors, but I've seen as much as 400,000+km

mrslcom

mrslcom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Car: 98 LX-V6 auto
My friend's 1990 4 cylinder has over 300,000 km (200,000 miles) and still runs great.

The V6 is suppose to have very high durability if maintained properly. I have close to 200,000 km (120,000 miles) and it literally runs like new. Never failed to start on the first try nor broke down even once. I expect the engine to outlast the rest of the car.

Fender

Fender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 1996, 626 ES, V6 auto
I have a '96 V6 ES with A/T and it has 197,000 iles on it. The A/T failed at 176,000 miles and the repair shop had to pull it out 3 times because the reman. torque convertors kept failing. I am now trying to decide wheather to keep the car or get rid of it. The parts are too expensive .

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • Car: Sorry Guys... I've gone German (2.0 Jetta)
is an mtx swap in the cards?

Kutcht1

Kutcht1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Car: 1993 Mazda 626 2.5L V6 Auto
These motors were built for longevity: http://homepage.ntlw...obemx/p_m18.htm
Engine Longevity
Long Term Testing
A USA oil company researched engine longevity using their own oil:
"After 300,950 miles the Mazda MX6-V6 passed an IM 240 Exhaust Emission Test in Aurora, Colorado, with results well within new car limits. At more than 310,000 miles, the test engine was disassembled for inspection and measurement. No wear was evident on valve stems and guides, main and rod bearings, crankshaft main and rod journals, or cylinder walls. The cylinder hone marks from original factory machining were all clearly evident. While piston skirts showed no wear, piston rings showed an average of only 0.0015" of face wear."

The V6 rivals the Lexus V8 for longevity, which is unsurprising considering the original application was a Xedos6-2.0V6, Xedos9-2.25/2.5V6 & Sentia rotary luxury lines. Many V6s & I4s have exceeded 350,000 miles, the only failures on one was a Mitsubishi alternator at over 200,000 miles and the pre-Jan-1995 rear calipers on another.

The replacement for the V6 will come in two forms, a 2.3-DOHC-I4 in the Mazda-6 and a 3.0-DOHC-V6 in a larger saloon. There is of course the innovative 4 door sports car, the RX-8, with the 250-280bhp Renesis rotary engine and potential for a series of rotary sports cars should the market demand. The Renesis engine is a non-turbo rotary engine using side-port exhausts to greatly improve fuel economy, reduce emissions and improve performance.

TomK

Trebuchet03

Trebuchet03

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • Car: Sorry Guys... I've gone German (2.0 Jetta)

Engine Longevity

mind you, that testing is done on a new engine, is maintained impecably during the test AND does not see much of any sitting time. The engine never overheats (I think most of us have reached a little warmer temp at one point or another) and I think (I can't remember - jsut random facts I've read at one point) testing (for gov't standards at least) allows oil changes over 1K miles - I'd appreciate if someone can confirm or put the right number in there :P

Some of the worst engine wear comes from just sitting and not running (duh). Also, during the start-up cycle. Depending on temp, it could be several hundred (never really over 500) RPMs before fresh oil makes its way though the entire system (you can find patents for pre-start lube pumps that blast moderatly high pressure on startup to reduce the time the system does not see new oil).

Its a testament to the engineering that the original hone markings are still in the head after 310K miles :P Not to mention how little the rings were worn (no where near enough for blow-by).

--
As always... a machine will live as long as you maintain it. The real question is, when do the costs outweigh the benefits (which is all personal choice). B) B)

etc

etc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I don't know how many miles I have on my 2.5L, it looks like it came from a junk yard.
The odometer says 109K miles but it runs really really well, which leads me to believe it has lower miles.

NickR

NickR

• Premium Member
  • 3,424 posts
  • Car: 2000 LX V6 mtx
Mine's at 302,000kms. It's running fine, but uses a bit of oil.

kritter

kritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts
  • Car: '03 Protege5
mine crapped out on me at 80,000 miles. it was maintained and babied. so.. sometimes it's all just a matter of luck. :huh:

etc

etc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I think the key is using the right viscocity oil in the winter so that it circulates faster in the engine.

I change mine every 3-4K miles and the filter every other time. But I use the very best filters I can find,
sometimes extended ones.

check out:
bobistheoilguy.com

Flsurfer626

Flsurfer626

• Premium Member
  • 377 posts
  • Car: 2002 Black Mazda 626 2.5v6 Atx
Personally I would recommend changing the filter EVERYTIME

Einstein

Einstein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Car: 93 626 GT 2.5V6 ABS Manual
Only ever use the genuine Mazda filter from the dealer.... it has a special anti drain valve inside... others don't.

and for the cost, it's just not worth the risk..

Also, only use a good quality oil.. cheap "glug" will not protect as well..

These engines will last for many thousands of miles... but only if the oil and filter is changed regularly.... neglect will kill it for sure.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users