• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

dtm1213

dtm1213

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 1998 Mazda 626 manual
Need help please. My altenator belt broke and tring to replace May be so easy nobody has asked but cannot find a belt diagram or anything to help tell what I need to do. Bought the car used so no owner manual ( 98 mazda 626. Managed to get the outer belt off but can not figure out how to loosen the other pullies to get the other belt on. Not a car person at all Please help.

blackshine007

blackshine007

Mazda 626.net

• 3,162 posts
  • Car: 1994 626 LX KLZE
If I remember correctly, the alternator bolts should be the same for the alternator, but I know that they're slightly different for the power steering bolts between the GE ('93-'97) and the GF ('98-'02), which was the change from the 14mm bolt to a 17mm that tightens the adjuster.

On the alternator itself, there's a total of 3 bolts you're gonna be loosening. There's the 12mm that loosens the adjuster, and the 14mm bolt at the bottom of the alternator (which is the pivot point). If you can get past the reciever/drier on your car, you can completely loosen the belt, but even then, it's not that bad. After you loosened the 14mm bolt, then take the 12 mm bolt and turn it in (the one that on the firewall side) until the alternator is fully out.

Good luck

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,777 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
I just checked my factory manual, looks like you loosen the adjuster bolt nut on the top of the alternator, loosen the "pivot" bolt on the bottom, and turn the adjustment bolt which pivots the alternator.

EDIT: Beat me to it :P

tradosaurus

tradosaurus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Car: 1998 Mazda 626, 2.0, Auto
I hate to respond to an old post but until I jacked up the car and looked underneath I didn't know that the bottom alternator bolt head (14 mm) faces toward the drivers side tire. -_-

And for all those who brag on the Haynes manual it is about as useful as the pimples on my back in detailing how to change the drive belts. ^_^

Steve J.

Steve J.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I did the belts on my '99 626 I4 today. Here is what I did:

Belt replacement on a '99 626 I4

You need 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 17mm sockets or wrenches, phillips screwdriver, yardstick & bandaids.
First, disconnect the battery.
Loosen the power steering pump pivot bolt.
Loosen the ps/ac belt tensioner lock bolt and back off the tensioner bolt. Remove the ps/ac belt. Install the new one after you finish the alternator belt.
Jack up the rt front of the car and use a jack stand.
Remove the rt front tire and move the plastic inspection plate on the inner fender. I removed 2 bolts and a screw, then bent it down out of the way.
Loosen the bottom pivot bolt of the alternator. It's hidden, pointing outward away from the engine, down at the bottom..
Loosen the alt. belt tensioner lock bolt and back off the tensioner bolt. Remove the alt. belt and install the new one.

Installation is reverse of this procedure, except install the inspection plate last. Use a yardstick to push the belts down to the lower pulley.

Make sure that you don't over-tighten the belts. The belts should be just loose enough to be able to twist about 80 degrees in each direction on the longest section of the belt, but no more. Any tighter, and the bearings within the alternator or even worse, the water pump could be ruined and cause damage.

tradosaurus

tradosaurus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Car: 1998 Mazda 626, 2.0, Auto
Also expect the following after changing out the belts on your 626:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users