• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

GReddyBooSTer

GReddyBooSTer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 1998 LX
which oil do you think is the best to put and can someone tell me if the pure synthetic oil is good on a 2.0. i heard that Mobil 1 synthetic is good .

vlad

vlad

• Premium Member
  • 4,669 posts
  • Car: 93 Mazda 626 KL-ZE MTX RIP
Yup, Mobil1 synthetic is indeed good.

ispraynitro

ispraynitro

• Premium Member
  • 277 posts
  • Car: 1997 mazda 626 2.0
I cant say enough about Mobil 1, I use it in my 2.0. Highly recommended!

vlad_vm

vlad_vm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Car: 1998, 626 LX, 2.0, Auto
From Mobil1 website (http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp)

MYTH: Using Mobil 1 will void my new-car warranty.

FACT: With the exception of the Mazda rotary engine (Mazda does not recommend any synthetic motor oils), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ will not void new-car warranties. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ exceeds the API and ILSAC motor oil service requirements of all new-car manufacturers, both import and domestic. If in doubt, always check your vehicle owner's manual or contact your vehicle's manufacturer.

What do you think is the main reason why Mazda doesn't recomment synthetic oil??

Josephnatx

Josephnatx

• Premium Member
  • 322 posts
  • Car: 2000, mazda 626, 2.5 v-6 KLDE,mtx
I've been using mobil 1 since I had the car and it's great. I change my oil every 4000- 5000 miles.

PhiSig137

PhiSig137

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Car: 96 626 4BANG!!, MTX,
Yeah, mobil 1 is great. One of the best oils on the market IMHO

But for a basic 2.0 with no major performance work done, you don't really need it. You can use regular dino oil, you really don't NEED synthetic. The only real benefit would be that you don't have to change it as often. IMO, you're wasting your money on synth for the FS-03

TRU

TRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Car: 97 626 IL4 Manual
Synthetic is better than regular, but its more expensive. Some believe Mobil1 is better, i personally use synthetic royal purple, BUT, even if its Advanced Auto Parts brand, as long as its rated SL, its just as good as the other oil. the Mobil1 may stay clean longer cause of its chemicals in it, but as far as actually oiling the engine and keeping it lubricated, any SL oil will flow just as well as the others. Mobil1 or Royal purple Synthetic is what id recommend, but if ur runnin low, and SL Oil will do the job the best for the price

TRU

TRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Car: 97 626 IL4 Manual

Yeah, mobil 1 is great. One of the best oils on the market IMHO

But for a basic 2.0 with no major performance work done, you don't really need it. You can use regular dino oil, you really don't NEED synthetic. The only real benefit would be that you don't have to change it as often. IMO, you're wasting your money on synth for the FS-03

thats not true, synthetic is supposed to be changed out just as reg. oil is, it just stays cleaner. lasting longer is what people believe, but thats not true according the the Mobil1 rep that came into my auto tech class B)

mrslcom

mrslcom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Car: 98 LX-V6 auto
All manufacturers I have contacted say synthetic motor oil are not required for their engines unless specified. They also do not recommend nor discourage the use of synthetic oil. However, they said the oil change interval remain valid and should not be extended when using synthetic oil. Using synthetic oil by itself will not void the warranty but failure to adhere to recommended maintenance schedule can.

PhiSig137

PhiSig137

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Car: 96 626 4BANG!!, MTX,
Independant studies have shown that synthetic oil is effective WITHOUT REGULAR CHANGES up until 60k miles. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it in that long, but it has been shown. While it may void your warranty or whatever, synthetic oil is definitely a better protector, and has a MUCH longer service life.

Mobil 1 is very high quality...... There's a reason that some of the best automobiles use it as oil from the factory. While they still recommend regular changes, it really isn't neccesary. When I do use mobil 1 in my other car and my friends cars, I usually leave it in for about 30k, and change the filter every 7,500 miles. It works fine, never a problem yet. Do what you like, but it works for me. I still don't think it's worth it in a FS-03 though.

bigbearsfan

bigbearsfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Car: 2001 mazda 626, 2.5 V6, automatic
I have to agree with TRU. Even though the synth. might hold up longer, your car's regular service schedule should be adhered to. Synth. oil is only designed to stay cleaner through its service life, it's not designed to last as long as a lot of people in the general population use it for (10k-45k miles).

Also, there is nothing wrong with using synthetic oil but one thing most people don't understand is that not all synthetic oils are true synthetic. There are some companies that put "synthetic" on their labels but are actually dino oil with a few "synthetic" additives. They don't even bother blending synth. with dino as you would get with synthetic blends. Just be careful of what you buy. Actually, an engineer friend of mine (who used to work for Amoco) recommends Mobil1.

vlad_vm

vlad_vm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Car: 1998, 626 LX, 2.0, Auto
I think the main reason for someone to use synthetic is to lengthen the oil change interval up to 3 times and save some $$$ and to get consistent oil flow in extremely cold weather.

Synthetic is good for engine in good condition. And more consistent in cold starts. Expensive but you'll feel the savings as months pass by without oil change.

Those people who suffer LEAKS when switching to synthetic have BAD engines. Engines shouldn't leak in the first place. So if you have BAD engine, save your money for something else. B)

I changed to synthetic (Mobil1 5w30) 2 weeks ago. And one thing i've noticed about the old conventional oil (Castrol 5w30) I replaced, was -6C outside and I was trying to pour the old oil from the drain pan into a container... that old oil took forever to flow into the container!!!! :wacko: It's so thick and so slow. And it's only 3k old!!! Meanwhile when I poured synthetic into my engine at -6C, it flowed easily.

CamNub

CamNub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Car: 1999 Camry 5s-fe auto
I switched my moms car to synthetic about 2 months ago.

I think the only things you should consider when switching are:

Cost - Its about 5 bucks a quart so like 20 bucks each time, vs like 2 bucks a quart for reg.

Engine - If your milage is very high, its usually not a good idea to switch to synthetic.

Necessity - Its not necessary for you to have synthetic, but it I believe helps engine life a lot. If you are turboed, Synthetic is a must. B)

Bumpncarstereo

Bumpncarstereo

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 757 posts
  • Car: 2001 626 lx. 2.0 5 speed, burgundy ext. tan int.
what would the fsctory use? i have free oil changes for life for my car.... probally just normal oil?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users