46 replies to this topic

vlad_vm

vlad_vm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Car: 1998, 626 LX, 2.0, Auto
1. How can two oil filter increase the oil pressure? Just a curious question.

When there are two oil filters, oil has to travel a longer passage. That means there is loss in pressure due to friction loss along the oil path.

For example...
Water coming out from water faucet at home flows fast...turn on your water filter, water comes ever so slowly...cleaner but slower. Add another filter...water might come out as droplets.

Similarly, if oil has to travel twice through a filter, then pressure drop will occur unless you add extra pump pressure. So I do not understand how two oil filters alone will increase oil pressure. I think that is false advertisement.

2. If there is no difference in pressure, there is no flow. When your car is not running and if you have one oil filter, the amount of oil stuck in the oil path is equal to the volume of the oil filter plus the volume of the oil line.

If you have two oil filter, the amount of oil stuck in the oil path is equal to the volume of two oil filters plus the original oil line plus the added oil line. Hence more oil stuck in the oil path.

If the temperature outside is -20F, there is more oil supercooled in the oil path if you have two oil filters. The time it takes to heat up the amount of oil stuck in the oil path with two oil filter will be longer than the time it takes to heat up the amount of oil suck in the oil path if you have one oil filter. Hence, your engine will be deprived of oil for a little longer because oil will not reach it's viscosity quicker (because longer to heat up), and will not reach engine parts faster.

My conclusion: You might have a cleaner oil but the main purpose of engine oil is to lubricate engine parts. having oil reach engine parts faster is more important than having a super clean oil.

Change oil with proper engine oil and change filter with proper oil filter regularly every 3000 miles or 3 months which ever comes first then you are safe. Now whether you want to use synthetic oil or dino oil is another issue.

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,797 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
What size pipe do you think flows more water with less pressure loss.....2" or 4"? Having two filters in parallel produces a smaller pressure loss than just 1. Similar concept of voltage drop across two resistors in parallel.

kakarot

kakarot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Car: 00' 626 I4 auto
you know what, I put instead of stock filter performence filter.
And when i started my engine oil light only staid on for about 3/4 second instead almost 2 on stock.
I spenned almost 1 hour searching for filter at AutoZone.
It not for Mazda so i compared both found with the same base (thread, head size), and it is almost twice longer that stock.
I'm proud of it :biggrin:
and it only cost me 13$

vlad

vlad

• Premium Member
  • 4,669 posts
  • Car: 93 Mazda 626 KL-ZE MTX RIP
what's the part #?

cheerupemoqueer

cheerupemoqueer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Car: 1997, 626 LX, 2.0L, Auto...
what oil do yall usually get? i used high mileage penziol i think... is there really that big a difference? yeah what is the part number... a longer filter would help me so i dont have to stick my hand as far in lol

kakarot

kakarot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I just took stock filter that i requested in Auto Zone. Told them if they have better one they said yes, they whent again and brought out K&N gold performence filter(a little bigger that stock) i think H1008, asked them if they have bigger model they said yes but not for this model, and i said can i see them they said yes, told me where to search, i whent and started my search, I found couple of models but as stupid of me i didn't wrote the number, but i took the Mobil filter for sure. Next time i will write it for sure. unless i'll find a better one. :biggrin:
Actually i just compared boxes so that one side is equal to stock filter size. then filters i found i compared abilities and performence that been writen on the side. And Auto zone people told me that they are not responsible if any damage will be done by that filter to my car becouse they may be not comparitable. :lol:

And i ussualy take blend sintatic oil 10w-40 what brand ,don't ask, and motor flush of 5 minutes. it's brown canister of 1q.
I might switch to sintatic soon.

I'll try to find the number, but actually you just go to parts store request stock filter and start your search it's usually only one ail of filters, shouldn't take more that 1 1/2 hour unless you worked in similar store then you'll find less that 1/2 hour.

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,797 posts
Well, I have a brand new jug of Mobil 1 synthetic and filter sitting here that I bought on Friday, and come Saturday I no longer had a car to put it into :(

I highly recommend the Wal-Mart brand "Super Tech" oil, it's just rebadged Pennzoil/Quaker State (same company), but at least 25% cheaper.

vlad

vlad

• Premium Member
  • 4,669 posts

Well, I have a brand new jug of Mobil 1 synthetic and filter sitting here that I bought on Friday, and come Saturday I no longer had a car to put it into :(

what happened to your car?!?!

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,797 posts
^ http://www.mazda626....ST&f=27&t=13409

:(

vlad

vlad

• Premium Member
  • 4,669 posts
crap, didn't notice that post! ..another 626 must leave us. :(

crazykn

crazykn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Car: 1993 Mazda 626 LX 2.0 AT
kakarot, the K&N filter is compatible. HP-1008, and I just bought it (installing next month). I did a cross-reference part and the HP-1008 is a replacement for the Fram filter for the 626 (at least mine). I wonder if I'll notice any difference with it? Anyways I'll find out when I install it.

While I'm still here which motor oil do think is better? Castro, Penzoil, or Valvoline - all regular 10w30. I'd figure I ask before I buy the oil soon.

vlad

vlad

• Premium Member
  • 4,669 posts
Mobil1 IMO.

crazykn

crazykn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
You mean synthetic? I'm not too sure about it, my 626 has gone all its life on regular and I don't know about switching now... (currently at 130900)

I don't recall seeing non-synthetic oil from Mobil 1 (at least where I live).

kakarot

kakarot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I think you should switch to sintatic or at least half sintatic becouse at this millege it starts to burn oil and you dont what it.
(burning oil shortens the engine life)
Sintatic burns less that regular.

I did notice difference to better side, but it's to soon to tell for sure.

crazykn

crazykn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
I'm certain there are side effects of using synthetic oil (and no I don't mean a lighter wallet), especially now. Any thoughts out there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users