155 replies to this topic

pvkamath

pvkamath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car: 1994 Mazda V6 auto
1994 mazda 626 V6

I noticed that that two front spark plugs(right and left) are soaked in oil. The middle one is okay.
The mechanic is saying that I need a valve cover gasket replacement.
I have the Haynes and Chilton's manual and am all set to order valve covers. I have not done any repairs on any cars till date.
Is it too ambitious of a project for a beginner ? Is there anything particularly important that I should remember while doing it ?

Thanks in advance,
Kamath. :unsure:

Edited by snailman153624, 22 February 2004 - 01:56 AM.

• DraniaWap likes this

mazda6

mazda6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Car: 94 626 LX-V6, Auto
its pretty simple...I did that to my car in my shop
just be sure to not over torque the bolts on the valve cover..they break easily..i found out the hard way

just take off the valve cover..and the the gasket is there..
get the gasket from mazda dealer or ford dealer

penguin

penguin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Car: 1997 Mazda 626 ES A/T
It is real easy to do. If all you are replacing is the front, it's not a big deal. The rear one is alot more time consuming (as you have to remove the fuel rail, IM, etc for access). Here is the info for replacing the front:

Tools:

Valve cover gasket
RTV sealant
gasket remover or screwdriver
10mm socket driver (I think)

1) disconnect the battery
2) remove the PCV valve (the thing going into the top of the valve cover
3) Unbolt the valve cover

When you take off the valve cover, use a screwdriver or gasket scraper to clean out the entire length of where the VCG was. It may take you an hour if you are really diligent (like me), but it's better than getting a leak. Test fit the new VCG to make sure it fits. Make sure you spend an equal amount of time cleaning off the the area where the VC was seated. After you do that, put a thin line of RTV in the groove on the VC where the new VCG will fit, near the outer edge on the bottom. The reason for this is that if you use too much RTV and you seal the VC down, the extra RTV will just fill the groove and not go into the oil. DO NOT PUT ALOT OF RTV ON. If you do, it may squeeze out when you tighten the bolts and then you could get RTV in your valve train or oil senders. Not good. But don't worry, this isn't a hard project at all. Once you have seated the new VCG on the VC, let it sit a minute then put the VC back on. Make sure you torque the bolts in a pattern similar to the way you do your tires (top left, bottom right, etc). Tighten them to pretty well, but don't force them. Check the edges to make sure NO parts of the VCG are bulging out. If it is, start over again. No need to buy another VCG if you have to start again as the new one will work fine. Once done, hook everything up and run the car. Drive for about 30 minutes and then stop and check for leaks. You should be all set now. Don't buy the VCG from the dealer, they will rip you. I got mine for $19 from www.thepartsbin.com. Here is the link. Free UPS shipping, too! You may also want to invest in some valve cover seal washers.. You will see where they need to go when you take the VC off. Mine were new, so I didn't replace them.

pvkamath

pvkamath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car: 1994 Mazda V6 auto
I looked up the valve cover seal washers and there are two choices in the parts, one "Reqs 18" and one "Reqs 5". Does it matter which one I order ?

Thanks,
Kamath.

JiggsHall

JiggsHall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 97 Mazda 626 ES Manual
I need to replace my rear gasket too, and replace the oxygen sensor that's back there as well. How are hard of a job is this ?

BlkMazda626

BlkMazda626

• Premium Member
  • 58 posts
  • Car: 1994, ES, V6 2.5L, 5 speed manual
Newbie here,

I read about the oil in the front two spark plug wells. I have oil in one of the rear bank spark plugs. The dealership said it would run me about $500 because of all the stuff on top. Anyone ever change the rear valve cover gasket? I had a shop change the rear O2 sensor. I didn't have the time to to do it myself. Thanks in advance.

canada626

canada626

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Car: 2000 626 LX-V6 5spd
hey noobies please include your car type so we can help ya better...............year etc.........

if ya can find a service manual online for cheap for your car then buy one or else order one frm the dealer they run about 120 cdn not sure about us dollars

El Pepe

El Pepe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Car: 1993 626ES V6 5spd
some good info here..

http://homepage.ntlw...obemx/p_m17.htm

BlkMazda626

BlkMazda626

• Premium Member
  • 58 posts
  • Car: 1994, ES, V6 2.5L, 5 speed manual
Sorry Canada626,

I have a 1994 626, V6 ES with 90K miles. I just wanted to know if it was worth the amount of time to work on the rear bank valve cover gasket. I figured the front would be much easier.

El Pepe,

Thanks for the info. I forgot to check that site. I think I will bring the car into the dealer to get done. Valve cover gasket and also intake gaskets sounds like a little longer than 4 hour job. I have to work on my headers for my dodge dakota truck. I do have the service manual but time is short with two little boys. I just had the dealer change the rear brake caliper because the parking braking binded up for the second time.

Thanks again.

Mazda Driver 626

Mazda Driver 626

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Car: '97, Mazda 626
I have a '97-V6-626 and have oil in several of the spark plug wells and on the ignition side of the plug as well. How do I know if it is the valve cover gasket or the valve guide oil seals?

Also I am looking at the haynes manual and it looks like the vavle guide oils seals are a lot more work to replace than just the cover gasket. Do I have to remove the camshafts to get to these?

Thanks

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,738 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX

I have a '97-V6-626 and have oil in several of the spark plug wells and on the ignition side of the plug as well. How do I know if it is the valve cover gasket or the valve guide oil seals?

Also I am looking at the haynes manual and it looks like the vavle guide oils seals are a lot more work to replace than just the cover gasket. Do I have to remove the camshafts to get to these?

Thanks

The valve guides seal oil in from the cylinders, not the spark plug wells. The valve cover gaskets are what keep oil leaking externally on the engine. So, you need to replace your valve cover gasket(s).

Found mine online for $18 each shipped, http://www.intlautoparts.com

I've ordered from them a ton before, even when something came broken due to shipping damages, they sent another one right away, good people B)

tommaz626

tommaz626

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Car: 93 mazda 626
Valve Cover Seal Washer should i get Reqs 18 or Reqs 5? ^_^

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,738 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX

Valve Cover Seal Washer should i get Reqs 18 or Reqs 5? ^_^

REQS means "requires;" These are the rubber washers and sleeves on the screws. If your old ones are not torn, then there is no need to replace them (unless you see leaks). It is just saying that there are 18 of the first one, and 5 of the second one, so 23 total (if you were to replace all of them).

tommaz626

tommaz626

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Car: 93 mazda 626
I went to Autozone and Napa to find out some prices on valve cover gaskets....Napa said the job also requires the intake manifold gasket being replaced. Napa gave me a $200 quote and Autozone gave me $160. Now im not sure if the autozone package included intake manifold gasket but it is a package with more than just the valve covers...my question is....should i be buying these "packages" or should i just try to get the valve covers on there own....and is 160 a good price? ^_^

Zuke626

Zuke626

Mazda 626.net

• 1,592 posts
  • Car: 2009 Subaru Legacy GT

I went to Autozone and Napa to find out some prices on valve cover gaskets....Napa said the job also requires the intake manifold gasket being replaced. Napa gave me a $200 quote and Autozone gave me $160. Now im not sure if the autozone package included intake manifold gasket but it is a package with more than just the valve covers...my question is....should i be buying these "packages" or should i just try to get the valve covers on there own....and is 160 a good price? ^_^

Thats insane, just buy the gaskets & some RTV sealant. Replace only the gasket thats leaking, if the rear one isn't leaking leave it alone. I replaced the front valve cover gasket & bought sealant for under 25 bucks, & I purchased the gasket at the dealer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users