• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

R.Hanson

R.Hanson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Car: 1996 Mazda 626 4cyl auto
i cant pull up the wiring diagram on http://www.modifiedl...wiring-diagram/, i had printed out a diagram from a Mitchell 1 Catalog for the original wiring, then used the diagram on the previous page because it works with the specific wiring harness. I'm Assuming to cut the ends of the remote amp power wires and taping them off. Then the 12v Ignition should go to Battery, 12v Constant should go to Accessory. And then cut the positive dimmer and telephone mute and tape those off as well, which will leave me with just the ground. Still not sure if this would work.. Any Help?
  • lilyankee likes this

lilyankee

lilyankee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Car: 1998 mazda 626 v6 auto
i have a 98 mazda 626. I love it but its been a pain. I have installed an aftermarket radio and the only way i can get it to turn on only if i connect the 2 red with the 12v yellow. it has no memory and the speakers dont work. iv tryed lookin at a bunch of diagrams but nothin has helped. any idea?!?!?!?!

waris93

waris93

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Car: 1994 Mazda 626 V6 Manual

@Snailman, Thank you soo muchhh I can't thank you enough for this  :biggrin: Just installed another stereo and didn't had factory harness, Everything works great except I have one extra wire (brown) have no ides what is that for, 1994 mazda 626 V6 AU version  :smile:

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,239 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap

The colors of the wires are different from year to year or model to model (us vs e-spec).  Can't always depends on wiring diagrams by color.  You'll want to find a wiring diagram for your specific year and model.

waris93

waris93

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

The colors of the wires are different from year to year or model to model (us vs e-spec).  Can't always depends on wiring diagrams by color.  You'll want to find a wiring diagram for your specific year and model.

Hi Dj yeah its crazy but the ones Snailman listed are exact same on my car, all speaker, remote, power, acc everything works  :w00t:

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,239 posts

I don't have access to my manuals right now since I'm on vacation otherwise I'd do some research for you by pulling some of my manuals off a shelf and studying them.  What I would do is look into the 94 or 97 factory wiring diagrams, figure out which wire is different from the diagram colors that he posted.  That should tell you what the brown wire does.  Probably something that some cars didn't have vs others like power antenna or immobilizer, something along those lines most likely.  Also some cars came equipped with a bose system so maybe there's a small subwoofer somewhere and that's a subwoofer power wire.  Things to think about. :)

• waris93 likes this

waris93

waris93

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

I'd do some research, Little subwoofer thing got me excited  :biggrin: , reason I wasn't worrying too much because I was happy atleast I got my new radio installed and I did it myself so It'll be peace on mind, I didn't wanted to say this but some peoples are just way too stupid, whoever installed the last stereo had no clue on what they were doing, first of all they spliced off factory wiring connections(I'd never do that if I have to install radio I'll rather buy "Make-model to ISO harness" and then splice of connections from iso harness, and secondly wires were barely connected and secured, when I pulled my stereo out some of the wires just came out and they were all barely tapped, When I was installing my amplifier last time I had to pull my stereo and thats when I discovered how bad my radio was installed but was too lazy to do it all over again  :P  Sounds great now  :thumbsup:

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,239 posts

After getting back home from my vacation and looking at the diagrams I believe the brown wire is for the illumination.  Basically you can control the OEM head unit display backlighting using the dimmer switch.  It's the same on the MX-6 OEM cassette player.  Additionally the MX-6 came with a CD player in the 95 that the 626 did not.  Only the OEM MX-6 CD player has 2 separate illumination circuits.  1 for the backlight and 1 for graphics (I assume that means the digits). 

Anyway, the brown wire on the 626 and MX-6 cassette player (same exact pin location too) is for powering the backlight on the OEM cassette player.

waris93

waris93

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Ooh it make sense now Thank you so much DJ :)

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,239 posts

Whatever you hook up to that brown wire will be controlled by the dimmer switch.  If your new head unit has a dimmer function which can be controlled by an external potentiometer then you can use the brown wire.  If you get a conversion harness for your head unit then the brown wire should already be wired up into that for you.  Most new head units today have a dimmer feature controlled internally and cannot be used with the OEM dimmer switch... therefore most of you installing aftermarket head units will have that brown wire hanging there.  I would consider the extra brown wire as completely normal with today's head units.  :thumbsup:  Make sure to tape off the end or use an electrical twist cap on it so it doesn't short out your whole dimmer system.  You certainly don't want that one just hanging freely with an open end back there.

waris93

waris93

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I'll have to check it will be cool :)

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,239 posts

Yeah you could hook up a low wattage LED as a test.  I have no idea what kind of wattage/amperage is ok for that circuit.  It's probably going to be ridiculously low, only enough to power an LED or two because it's only meant to be used to as a backlight for an LED display.  If I had to guess I would say 5 watts.

waris93

waris93

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Dj did you edited your post  :P  I got your other comment on email, its very good idea, Once I get my car running fine then I'll start decorating my interior  :smile: 

imdif_

imdif_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Car: 93 mazda 626 2.0 lx manual
Hey forum !!! Love the site! So just got my first car which happen to be a 93 mazda 626 i4 5 speed manual :) you would no belive how handy this topic was. had my aftermarket radio installed and my 1000 wat kenwood amp instaled also!!!
  • djdevon3 likes this

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,239 posts

Thanks for doing a forum search first before asking your question imdif_!  This forum holds a wealth of information dating back more than 10 years.  All you have to do is figure out the keywords for your issue that will yield the best search results.  Congrats!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users