9 replies to this topic

lmedina

lmedina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 96 626 LX-V6, 2.5 V6, automatic
I need help.

My 96 V6 626 wth 160K miles began missing last week. The problem has gotten progressively worse. During my troubleshooting I removed the oil filler cap while the engine was running. When I did this the engine died. I reinstalled the cap and pulled the PCV valve while it was running and it shut off again.

I then noticed oil on the left side of the engine at the header down pipe. Could I possible have a valve that is stuck open? This only seams to affect the left side of the engine. Any help would be appreciated.

NickR

NickR

• Premium Member
  • 3,407 posts
  • Car: 2000 LX V6 mtx
Welcome to the board!

It is normal for our cars to stall if you unscrew the oil filler cap or remove the PCV valve. Mine does this. It's something to do with the vacuum. (They are also very sensitive to air leaks around the intake.)

Regarding the oil leak and the misfiring. This sounds like a clasic case of leaking valve cover gaskets (our cars are prone to do this, and it'a hassle, but no big deal). Pull out your spark plug leads, and see if the ends of the leads are covered with oil.

lmedina

lmedina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 96 626 LX-V6, 2.5 V6, automatic
I do have a nasty valve cover leak in this location. My alternator is getting it bad. I do need to get off my a** and fix this. I have seen my spark plugs covered in oil in the past but not recently.

With regard to replacing the valve cover gasket do you recommend I do anything to prep the surface?

NickR

NickR

• Premium Member
  • 3,407 posts
  • Car: 2000 LX V6 mtx
All I know about replacing the valve cover gasket is posted here:
http://www.mazda626....t=ST&f=3&t=1177
(It's pinned at the top of this forum)

I too finally got off my rear and replaced my valve cover gasket. I didn't prep the surface, except to very carefully clean off all the old sealant. The torque for the valve cover bolts, by the way, is a very slight 45 to 70 INCH pounds, according to Haynes. That's about 5 foot pounds, which is about the same torque as you can exert using a regular screwdriver. So be careful!

You are lucky if it's just the front one. My rear one is leaking a bit too, but I'm still gathering up the courage and determination to do that one.

If you have had oil in the spark plug wells in the past, it could have harmed your plug leads, which could explain your misfiring. Maybe you need to replace them.

I had oil leaking onto my alternator too. I've read that this can harm your alternator. Now I've stopped the oil leak, I am wondering if I should attempt to clean the alternator with brake cleaning fluid, or if I should just leave it alone. Do you, or does anyone else, know if this would be a good thing to do?

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,740 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
I'd probably clean it off with electrical contact cleaner. Brake cleaner might damage the insulation around the coil wires and render your alternator useless :wacko:

I too am gathering the willpower to do my rear VCG. I don't get much [if any] oil in the spark plug wells, but it leaks down the block enough to cause a little smoke when I really drive hard. Maybe 1/2 quart between oil changes [it's definately not burning it]. I replaced the front one when I first got the car.

Scottwax

Scottwax

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Car: 1999 Mazda 626 ES-V6/automatic
Check your coil packs. My Dad was having that problem before I bought the car from him. Replaced the coil packs and the car runs great again.

mazdaspeed_626

mazdaspeed_626

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Car: 1993 Mazda 626 V6 Manual

I removed the oil filler cap while the engine was running. When I did this the engine died. I reinstalled the cap and pulled the PCV valve while it was running and it shut off again.

It is normal for our cars to stall if you unscrew the oil filler cap or remove the PCV valve. Mine does this. It's something to do with the vacuum.

Ok, do you boys know anything about engines? Of course a car is gonna stall with the fukn oil cap off or the pcv hose out. Its not just this one believe it or not.

jojoringo

jojoringo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Check your coil packs. My Dad was having that problem before I bought the car from him. Replaced the coil packs and the car runs great again.

Pleezuh Edguhmakate me -

Whats a coil pack? Im embarking on cleaning the TB and the replacing the front VCG. Is this CP something I ought ot check out at the same time?

vlad

vlad

• Premium Member
  • 4,669 posts
  • Car: 93 Mazda 626 KL-ZE MTX RIP
You don't have a coil pack, you have a distributor.

the 93-97 models have distributors, where in 98+ models they have coil packs.

A coilpack and distributor perform the same task, they just do it differently.

jojoringo

jojoringo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Much appreciated!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users